Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

Anyone know how to...

Old 02-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon
Default Anyone know how to...

wire up a blinking led light, and connecting it to my alarm system.

As you can tell mine didn't come with one.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

your alarm didnt come with led output wires?

most have power and ground wires that you can connect directly to an led, without a resistor. the alarm supplies about 3.5V, and in a pulse, so it blinks automatically.

if not, they do make flashing leds. pick one up at radio shack or something. then just tap into something that is supplied with power when the alarm is activated. say, a sensor for instance. you will need to stick a 470ohm resistor on one of the led leads though.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:55 PM

QUOTE (tibby01)
your alarm didnt come with led output wires?

most have power and ground wires that you can connect directly to an led, without a resistor. the alarm supplies about 3.5V, and in a pulse, so it blinks automatically.

if not, they do make flashing leds. pick one up at radio shack or something. then just tap into something that is supplied with power when the alarm is activated. say, a sensor for instance. you will need to stick a 470ohm resistor on one of the led leads though.

My thoughts exactly,... but at radio shack you can actually get a "blinking LED" I had it before I got a real alarm. And that's is purpose, to make thieves think you have an alarm, when in actual fact you don't.

Anyway, the LED is on it's own, and Tibby01 is correct about the resistor for the "aftermarket" LED. But yeah, go to radio shack and ask for a blinking LED, as far as I know, it only comes in Red, but they may have different colors like Blue now. Anyway hook the positive side to constant power in the car and a inline resistor (around 500ohms should be fine). Then hook the negative part of the LED to accessory power. So when the car is on, accessory power is on, and there will be no ground. But when the car is off, accessory power is now ground and it completes a circuit, so the LED turns on. And since it's a blinking LED it'll do it's own thing.
Here's a crude drawing :
Old 02-24-2005, 06:58 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

smile.gif i love that pic man!! haha serves its purpose well
Old 02-24-2005, 06:59 PM

This is a good idea even if you don't have an alarm! I was thinking about wiring one up with a relay, but that above way of doing it is much easier.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:04 PM

Spanks wink1.gif :cool5:
Just got to radioshack, and ask for it, they'll know what you're talking about, but I'm not sure about the radioshacks in the states. But up here in Canada, they jack up the prices. It's like $5 for that damn thing here, but at my electronics store they are like $1.50. But I say radioshack because they're everywhere.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:16 PM

What alarm do you have? Do you just want a single LED, or are you planning on getting a scanner? Scanners can't usually be powered by the alarm.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:26 PM

The scanner hooks up the same way, that my single LED example hooks up like
Old 02-24-2005, 07:46 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Okay thanks, I'll be hittin up Radio Shack tomrorw. Ill keep you guys updated.

Is a scanner like a long tube that light moves from one end to another? tongue.gif
Old 02-24-2005, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (tanc)
Is a scanner like a long tube that light moves from one end to another? tongue.gif

yes. it doesnt have to be a tube tho, they make lines of led's and stuff too. just a light that goes back and forth