Interior, Sound, Security Modifications to the Interior of your Hyundai. Seats, Carpet, Car Audio & Entertainment, interior painting, security, etc..

2 Amps & 1 Cap?

Old 10-28-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Ok, I decided that I'm going to run 2 Amps(1 mono & one 6 channel). I have a 5.0 Farad Capacitor. Do I need another one? I was telling my friend that I think he can go from battery to cap to distribution block to the 2 amps. However, I didn't want to screw up my amps. I thought that might not work because what if one amp looks for more power while the other one doesn't want it and the cap gives the power to both? Should I get another cap and put them behind the distribution block?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:14 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

um.. are your lights dimming?

You're really not giving any pertinant information here... We need to know how many watts on each amplifier. Not how many they actually "claim", but give us the amperage on your amp fuses multiplied by 14.6. Also, if the fuse amperage is greater then 60-70 amps, you definately need a bigger alternator.

A capacitor will prolong your battery life, and stablize the voltage levels in the car, not generate power.

Are your lights dimming? You should change your battery before you see if your lights are dimming.

Capacitors just level the voltage draw... If you put a capacitor on your car's battery, between the + and - terminal, in theory it will work the same as it would next to the amplifier. it's all the same line electrically. But really theres a small ammount of resistance created by running that much power through a piece of wire.

You only need 1 capacitor in a car. It will work as a voltage stablizer for your battery regardless. But you can add another one if you want, it too will help out. DO NOT RUN THEM +-+- capacitors need to be hooked up in paralell or they will decrease output. They need to run ++ --. Regardless of how you hook them up.. Just remember that the entire 12V electrical system is running a capacitor.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:17 AM

5 Farad is a freaking beastly Cap, if you're running a recreational setup you should never need a cap that big.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:24 AM
DTN

^^ yeah, forgot to mention that... you shouldn't need a 5F. But if you do need to upgrade, a 50F and a 5F on the same circuit = 55F total capacitance.

You'll probly be good unless you're listening to SPL music or alot of R&B which has sustained bass drops. That's usually where most of the power goes.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

Well, I already have the cap so too late on that. I know it was bigger than needed. 1.5F would have been good enough but oh well.

I'm actually just putting the stuff together for the first time now and throwing it in the car. I have an Infinity 611A(Fuses=30Ax2) and an Infinity 5761A(Fuses=30Ax2). So, 120?

I'll have an Optima Yellow Top in the car when everything else gets put in there. BTW, which one do I get? The "D35" right?
Old 10-29-2006, 08:40 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

I have an SPL 4 farad cap for 2 amps.

Just run it into a distro block and then send that to the 2 amps.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:18 AM
DTN

TiuronMoo:HOLY DOG SHIT! BY all means, buy your new 50F capacitor, alternator upgrade, and extra battery. Your alternator puts out 90A. You can figure the manufacturer will rate the fuses 60-90% above actual current draw. Which will leave you 12A to run the rest of your car.
Best of luck and may god save your alternator
Old 10-29-2006, 01:53 PM

QUOTE (Caj Darkmoon @ Oct 29 2006, 01:17 AM)
5 Farad is a freaking beastly Cap

they make 50 fared caps, and i think even bigger now.

i personally own a alumapro 15 fared cap, and another digital output 15 fared cap.

but i do not run either anymore. with a upgraded battery, and re-wound upgraded alt, and correct wiring, the caps are litterally useless. there a bandaid for an inadequit electrical system
Old 10-29-2006, 11:03 PM
DTN

^^ not at all dude. I'm sick of you saying that. A capacitor makes your electrical system run more efficently. lemme draw a picture to show you what i'm talking about...

Your battery can only absorb about 12V worth of electricity, the rest is wasted back into the alternator or used by equipment. Each farad of capacitance you add levels out the voltage spikes that much more.

BTW... they make frickin huge caps like hundreds of farads. I've heard of 330F capacitors. Any old capacitor will work the same. They generally don't use ceramic for anything higher then 300microFarad. The dialectric ones are more potent for their size but they all work alike.

I'm an electronics tech. Trust me.

Capacitors resist change in amperage in a circuit. They keep amperage steady and make the voltage stable in doing so.