Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Wish the RD's had ABS

Old 08-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 98 Tibby
Default Wish the RD's had ABS

How hard would it be to add ABS to an RD, and why in the hell did Hyundai not include it? I would have happy paid extra for it. In my opinion, its one of those safety things that every car should come equipped with. huh.gif
Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

They did..

Find an FX model in a junky. Wouldn't be too hard, gotta know ABS brake systems though..

Gotta ask, why do you want it?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

It was a factory option. Some have it some don't. As for adding it though, I think it would be very hard. Here is a quick list of the parts you would need off the top of my head. Spindle/hub assembly, axles, abs sensors, ecu, abs control module, wiring harness, possibly a brake booster, and there are probable more things I'm forgetting. It's definitaly a really nice feature to have but idk if it's worth the trouble :/
Old 08-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

and will require you to run your own brake hard lines, or maybe can re-use of a junkyard pull..

Lot of stuff, possible. But not worth it in my opinion.

I ask why you want it, because I can brake better and stop faster WITHOUT abs.. Also, I have 100% control of my brakes on the track, giving an abs module some control over what and how much to brake is not bueno = surprise on the track!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:38 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Lol I pulled mine out
Old 08-04-2010, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

my 97 FX used to have ABS until i had the hubs changed for the rims sad.gif it turned on when i tried it in the snow. i really don't know what to look for now...

the gears are still there, but i think my mechanic scrapped the sensors in with the old hubs unknowingly.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:11 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I saw one on a tib once. The main unit is located in the empty area on the side of the pulleys near the front of the engine bay on RDs.

Every RD comes with the lines directly to the OBD port, but they are non-functional. It stands to reason that the electronics are all in place for it and may just require a control box and the auxiliary lines.