Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Why Is The Rd Korea's Most Popular Tuning Platform?

Old 05-14-2006, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This forum itself has pretty much answered this question for me, but why do the Koreans PREFER tuning the RD series Tibs over the GK?

Is it because it's Hyundai's first sports car that actually put out some power?

Also, what is it that seperates KDM from JDM, and makes Korean Tuning so different from Euro/Japanese tuning? Is it mainly the fact that the Tibby's require a little more imagination and thinking to tune up?

Just a lot of things that have been on my mind about KDM stuff. Like if someone to ask me about Korean tuning, and what's so good about it, is it the fact that it's Korean?tongue.gif
Old 05-14-2006, 09:08 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Oh, it's very easy. Let me list them for you.

1. Beta Engine.

a. It's a beast, it can take a lot of punishment in stock form, and even more when modified properly.
b. It's fuel efficient.
c. It's realatively easy to work on. Most 4 Cyl engine cars have tiny engine bays and there is hardly any room to work. There is a decent amount of room in most beta engine bays.
d. It's COMMON. Very easy to find oem parts for as the engine has been made for what, 10 or so years?

2. WEIGHT/Displacement.

1. Koreans get taxed on the engine displacement of their cars. The bigger the engine, the more gas it sucks up, the less efficient it is, the bigger the taxation. This has relaxed some in the past year, hence why the GK is getting a bit more popular over there, but most everyone still prefers the Beta engines.
2. The RD is much lighter than the GK, and smaller. The Koreans aren't much about BIG cars. The GK looks almost like it was designed for the US/Canada.

3. JDM/KDM

1. One starts with a J, one with a K. lmao.gif
2. It doesn't require more thought, it requires more PRESS. If the damned magazines in the US would take a trip to Korea and check stuff out, they'd see professional racing series, BIG parts support over there, and more. But because Korean cars are still getting out of the stigma they had around the world (Same one the JDM cars had about 20/30 years ago), most folks aren't willing to look into this side of the tuning world. So it stays in Korea and Asia.

4. What's so good about it?

1. Korean culture is fantastic.
2. Korean food kicks Japaneese food's ASS.
3. SOJU!
4. Uniqueness. Tuning a Hyundai puts you in a class of folks that want to be different then everyone else. It also shows you have some paitence and are willing to try out something different.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

^WORD and that import car can cost up to 300% more. here they base all the taxes on the make model and engine size and licence plate also... The old P.X manager has a new bmw 760il fully loaded in the US its about $100,000 "Ball park" well here after everything its $340,000 and he has to pay a yearly taexes of 5000 due to the engine size... but i think you get the ideal...hell they even tax the oem parts out the ass as well.. its crazy.. oh and good gas is also $8.65 a gallon here and the cheap shit is $6.45 LOL

SOJU
one love,
Old 05-14-2006, 10:01 AM

Nice post, Redz.

But what kind of support do they get in Korea specifically?

Isn't the RD Tiburon kind of rally inspired (F2 EVO)?

I want to know more and more about this car. I know a lot just by being here for about a year, but I want to blow the minds of my classmates away when I present on Thursday. I'm trying to gather up a lot of information on the RD Tib, and the Beta 1 and everything else it has to do with.

I love the RDTiburon, and I think it has a lot of potential. I just wish it had more support here in the US.

The other night a few of my friends called me over when they saw my car driving through the parking lot and I had a good 20 people standing around my car ADMIRING it. "You make we want one of the older Tiburons," they say.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:24 AM

Soju is really really good... thanks John!
Old 05-14-2006, 11:57 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

What is the main point of your presentation? Tell us, and we'll help you get some supporting details.

And yes, Soju is pretty damn good. Best when mixed with Fanta cool.gif
Old 05-14-2006, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2kShark @ May 14 2006, 10:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>But what kind of support do they get in Korea specifically?

Isn't the RD Tiburon kind of rally inspired (F2 EVO)?</div>

The support of every aftermarket mfr there.

No.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:30 PM

I really like ur post redz, u hit the nail on the head for me, i couldve got a 240 or a prelude or a civic but i didnt i got my tiburon because its original where im from everyone has srt-4s and civics and stuff thats common theres no one who fixes up hyundai's around here and i wanted to be unique and now that was the reason i bought the car now that ive driven the car a month or so ive fallen in love with it.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:32 PM

Main point of the presentation focusses on how Hyundai has come a long way from how they were a decade ago, to how they are now. I am going to talk about how they had some reliability issues back then, and now make very reliable cars and have grown faster than any car company. I will also discuss how they've become the 4th largest foreign car manufacturer. That is the first part of the presentation, and the 2nd part is mainly on the RD series Tiburon, and Korean tuning. I will have some info on the GK, and also some of the newer Hyundai's (new Sonata, Azera, etc)
Old 05-14-2006, 06:42 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (REDZMAN @ May 14 2006, 11:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>2. Korean food kicks Japaneese food's ASS.</div>

I was with you up until that point. Let's see: Japanese food has amazing variety of Sushi, awesome noodle soups (I go with udon mostly), and my favorite, sukiyaki. Korean food. . .I''ll pass on having everything pickled, even cabbage. And raw fish is better wrapped in seaweed with rice, not lettuce leaves (wtf?). Finally, Korean one pot stew doesn't hold a candle to sukiyaki.

Korea only gets the edge when it comes to barbecued meats. That, they know how to do, and it beats out bland teriyaki dishes bigtime. I love bulgogi (sp?), spicy pieces of beef. But damn, I hate having to get through kimchee, and you always get it at every Korean restaurant. Ugh.