Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

What Parts Are Likely To Fail At High Mileage?

Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Sonata

If I'm posting in the wrong place, just let me know. But I'm wondering.. I just got back to Austin after a 3200 mile round trip to VA. My '99 Sonata runs great but I'm wondering what I might want to replace to prevent any future breakdowns. 157,000 miles at this time, and I'm going to replace the water pump during the next timing belt change. But beyond that, are there any other items that YOU would change in the interest of long term reliability? (other than specified maintenance items)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

if engine and tranny are fine, suspension is all i would look into. if your mechanic insists your struts are going bad, may want to look into those.

just kinda up to you and how much longer you want to own the car, etc.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:17 PM

Good advice. What about the crank sensor and things like that? Things that will fail all of a sudden and shut you down. Maybe I worry too much...lol. But I do intend to drive it for a long time, and I don't mean nursing it along. This thing runs great, and I drive it hard. But, it's just an old Sonata... anything could happen.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You have to nurse it along. If something fails you replace it, that's the deal with owning an old car. Replacing still-good parts is just throwing away money. Check your brakes, probably replace your shocks. Replacing the fluids wouldn't hurt. Otherwise, just drive it and do the recommended inspections.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I agree. Routine maintenance is better than replacing before stuff breaks. If you really wanna spend some money, here's a quick way to rack up several hundred dollars on necessary items:

Replace your timing belt and all other belts on schedule
Replace your fluids, including engine, tranny, radiator, clutch, blinker, etc..
Replace air filter
New spark plugs/wires
Charge the A/C
rotate your tires
check your rotors and pads, resurface or replace rotors if necessary
new struts/springs

Assuming you're doing regular maintenance, the only thing I would be cautious of is a radiator. That's something that can cause major damage and always seems to mess up at the worst time. Check it out, drain and fill, ensure thermostat works fine, replace if uncomfortable.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majikTib @ May 15 2010, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>blinker</div>

laugh.gif
Old 05-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Administrator

Just wanted to see if people were paying attention. Good catch fing02.gif
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 PM

Yes, I have my blinker fluids rotated every 6000 miles whether it needs it or not.... Seriously...I appreciate the info...just general automotive knowledge that we all know. Because I am new to the world of Hyundais I was just wondering if there is anything that's known to fail at certain intervals that I'm unaware of. Apparently not. But thanks for the input, smart ass or not, it's all appreciated. I will just continue to drive in ignorant bliss with my paid off beater.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Administrator

fing02.gif Glad you're able to see our immature humor. I hope you stay around a while.

No, there's nothing unusual about our cars. The automatic transmissions can be tricky and very weak. If you have an automatic, take care of it and pay attention to any awkward feel.

Keep in mind, you have very few posts on our forum and we get a lot of new members with little or no insight. We haven't had the ability to get to know you or your level of experience. I wasn't trying to be a smart ass with my post (except for the blinker) suggesting the belt replacement or air filter replacement; I was merely trying to address it as if you truly didn't know.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM

Thank you for that. I appreciate it. As for the auto trans.... well.. I learned on the first cold morning with my car that that initial 1-2 upshift is pretty sloppy. I am in the habit of letting completely off the throttle for that first shift of the day, or else it slips and shifts very slowly. After that, it's good to go for rest of the day, and I drive it as I would anything. I serviced the trans awhile back. Replaced the spin-on filter that sits on top of the unit, and added Lube-Gard along with Hyundai specific oil for the fluid replacemement. I used Lube-Gard in a Chevy trans that I severely overheated once and it seemed to save it. That was at the recommendation of a good shop in my area. Not sure if it's worth a damn, and I'm no fan of 'snake-oils' but it just might help, so.. Thanks again for the input.