Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Vehicle will not idle properly, fluctuating and erratic

Old 08-23-2010, 07:48 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The Dae Sung TPSs have a problem with a deadspot that forms on it. It's not really "wearing out". Its a design flaw. The TPS is a potentiometer, a variable resistor. Like any potentiometer, when you send too much voltage through it, it will damage the resistor. The Dae Sung was not good enough to handle the raw ECU power (heh). The Kiefco TPS is a stronger variant. I think it was installed on late model 2001s. Mine was an early model with a Dae Sung. Basically, the TPS should not wear out like tires. It should have had a much longer lifespan then 50,000 miles. Maybe normal wear at around 200,000 would be acceptable, but even still I'd call it crap. The Kiefco is supposed to be a good one.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I have a similar problem and although it didn't completely fix it changing the fuel filter made a definite improvement. I know that the fuel filter shouldn't be dependent on temperature, but with high mileage it wouldn't be a bad idea to do anyway. You'll be amazed at the amount of garbage you'll find in it.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

Thanks guys, you all are the best, havent fixed it yet but all of these ideas i must do my baby she needs alot of tlc.all of you guys are allsome and thanks for a helping hand. i was going to put the stock air box back in it but i dont know, do you guys think i should do it just to see what kind of changes happen to my car(if there is any).
SO please keep on giving ideas for me and for the other people like me. These cars will lose the perfomance if you dont keep the car in good shape and good matenice. So do you guys think i need to replace the <u>fuel fillter, and the TPS</u>. O and you guys tell me what you think should invest in a fuel pressure regulator.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

OOO and there’s 1 more symptoms this morning I went to crank her up and it was a normal start up I went a quarter of a my to my uncles house and when I put it in park the rpms revved up to 2 k and stayed there for about 30secs and I revved it and it went back down.(this was a cold start not hot)
It does that every now and then but my most problems are when it’s HOT and I crank it up. It’s to the idle on start up is to speratic. like I was saying before when it cranks and revs to 1k right when it hits that mark it just suddenly drops and goes up down up down.OOO and when its in park I can tap the gas real quick and its boggles and cuts off.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 PM

You could do a test of the idle control actuator, there's a small chance that this could be the cause of your eratic idle.