Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Timing belt play specification?

Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Timing belt play specification?

I checked my timing belt freeplay since its been a few months since my timing belt change out. It was right at +/-0.25 inches. So half inch of total forward/aft movement. Is that within the allowed tolerance? Or do I need to tighten my tensioner pulley?

I also noticed my big power steering hose on top is leaking where the rubber meets the metal hose, a few inches from the power steering pump. Is this a pain in the ass fix?

And finally, my camshaft sensor is leaking oil, on the back passenger side below the valve cover. The oring is installed though. Any way to plug this leak? Thanks guys!!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

sounds like you keep a pretty good eye on your engine bay-... keep it up!

i've been told by a member/former hyundai tech that when doing the timing belt to obviously align the timing marks and when it comes to the tensioner as long as the bolt hole is @ 12oclock and the smaller hole beneath it is @ 6oclock, then you should have the perfect amount of tension. sorry i have no specific answer but it worked great for my timing belt!

my roommate had the same problem and in order to replace the line he opted to yank out the engine and trans. not saying you have to but his previous attempts weren't successful

ehh-... new oring?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

There is a special tool to measure timing belt deflection and I'm pretty sure you could find it on hyundaitechinfo but you don't need to. Tighten timing belts less-tight than makes it sound like a supercharger, but only a little. The stretch little enough over their service life not to worry about re-tensioning unless it is getting really sloppy. I'll have to try the tensioner thing next time I put a new belt on there, thanks for that.

If you mean the pressure hose that goes from the pump to the steering gear, it is a hassle but do-able to get it in and out without taking out anything else. It's enough of a PITA I thought a DIY was in order . . . so I made one! https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...pressure-hose/

+1 new oring.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I didn't even notice the holes on the pulley...are you talking about the tensioner pulley or the camshaft pulley? I'll have to check that out.

Freak, I probably won't even bother with the power steering line. It's just a slight leak, not even dropping the fluid level. I'll just wait it out and see what happens. Hopefully it won't leave me without power steering one day.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

nope on the tensioner for the timing belt-...

i think it'll leave you w/ a large puddle of ps fluid befroe you loose the power to the steering