Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Catch up..

Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default Catch up..

A little over a year ago, my tib died. I'm still not sure what's wrong with it. It was idling, and just died. Went to start it, it wouldn't. Got a jump start, and it started, but made a lot of noise, and the low oil light was on. Turned it off, added some oil, and started it up again. Tried driving around the block, and it had almost no power. Made a lot of engine noise. Turned it off, and it never started again...

The last year I've spent test driving new cars, saving money, and driving craigslist beaters around while I figure out what I want to do. The tib's been sitting with a cover over it forever now, and I'm still confused..

I suppose I I just sell it..? It would break my heart, because I know nobody else would appreciate all the hard and custom work that's went into it.. A lot of which I didn't even document on here, because I'm ultra lazy when it comes to that stuff (hell, my signature is still the old blue tib, which I haven't had for about 5 years, lol). From running GK shifter cables to eliminate the "slop", full RD2 dash swap, custom heated seats, elaborate car PC install with a custom made plywood spare tire cover (that oem one sucked), vent haloz and angel eyes, a custom base for the 2 wing shark spoiler, glass headlights, turby skirts, all the f2 evolution stuff...bumper, gauges, door sills, badges, rim caps, the custom 1 of a kind wheel spacers i bought on here.. all the engine mods.. I mean, I'm sure I could successfully part probably ALL of this stuff out, but that would still be just as sad.

I've also though about keeping it forever and continually restoring it. If I were to restore it, it would need a new piece of metal welded on the rear 1/4 panel where it has begun to rust, then repainted obviously. This is a necessity for me, because I have custom spacers/hubs with longer studs, and it's lowered, so I need to have the fenders rolled. We rolled all of them except that one because of the rust, I sliced all my tires open when on the highway one day before I knew I had to roll them or even what that was. It would also need the motor fixed, whatever is wrong with that.. If I go this route, I would still probably purchase a new car for a daily driver, the tib just isn't reliable enough, plus then it could finally be an ultimate hobby and I could play around with it as much as I've always wanted. I'd still love to join the boost crowd and learn about forced induction, which is something I'd never want to do on a brand new car, the tib has always been the prefect experiment and project for me. If I were to do this, I'd definitely want to go the megasquirt ECU route and also get those cams - whatever happened to that company that was selling that package? And did it ever end up working well?

Anyways, I've come here to ask my favorite online community what they think about all this, what could be wrong with the car, and to catch me up on what's been going on the last year! I see the redzman is gone, but I do notice a lot of familiar faces, which makes me happy. You guys are almost like a big family, I've been posting on here for nearly a decade. It's kind of funny to say that you grew up with a forum, but RDT (I'm still calling it that), has been there since I bought my first car at 16, worked at subway, and didn't even know how to properly use a ratchet. Was there through high school, college, and now today, where I just purchased my first house, and am working hard at my new career (software/web developer).. and here we are still! It's great we're still around. You guys are awesome. Thanks!

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user...brary/redtib2?

Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

redzman... Dude, you've been gone much more than a year if you're just noticing he's gone!!! He left... 3 years ago when he bought the Soul? Your 5,000 posts prove to our newer members that you definitely had some contribution to the community.

Quickly reading through the suggestions here...

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...ing-wont-idle/

Tell us what you've done so far. Have you changed the spark plugs and wires? Have you had anything tested?

In the worst case scenario, you'd need a new engine and tranny. Most likely just engine, but that's even $500 from a junk yard and since your car definitely isn't your primary means of transportation, I'd suggest renting an engine hoist and attempting to swap it yourself. It'll take you to the next level of working on your car. Think of it, a new junk yard engine = 100k more miles on the car you've invested so much time and money into, and $500 is about the same as the junk yard beaters you've been driving
Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

I would definitely look into getting a new beta if you can. You can find a lot of low mileage ones around and you can swap it in a weekend if you have a friends that knows how to do it. If you were getting a low oil light and the car was making noises, chances are it was oil starved and you may have done more damage than its worth fixing. It'll just be easier to get rid of the old engine and put a fresh new one in and enjoy it for another decade!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 AM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Considering it died over a year ago, I'd start from scratch with diagnosing it. Fuel, spark, and compression is all you need to find

However, from what you've said you've probably killed an oil pump and subsequently cooked the head.

Like others above me have said, throw a junkyard beta in there and keep on truckin'. Changing an engine is relatively easy work, especially if you have a shop manual on hand. Repairing serious rust like that is way out of my expertise though, that could get rather expensive.

Cliffs: keep it and fix it up.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Haha majik, I guess it has been quite awhile! I think I was around 4-5 posts per day towards the end, which has now fallen to 1.6! I didn't even remember that I had made that post until you linked it. BTW, your mouse gif seriously freaked me out for a minute! haha

I did a compression test, I believe one was good, two were 0, and the other was like 20 psi.

So a whole new engine? Or just new head/valves?

I figure while this is all torn apart is a great time to put in new cams. But I can't find a lot of info on people that have purchased those colt cams (just the one guy from norway). Only question I really have is..Can the stock ecu handle these? Or do you need a tune?

Lastly, anyone have experience with rust like this? I'm assuming if I tried to roll the fender anyway, it would just crumble and crack all the paint off.. or is there any other way I could somehow smooth out that razor sharp inner fender edge so it no longer slices my tire to bits?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Fix the engine first. Zero compression means probably a new engine from the wrecker, because it would be more work to rebuild it. Any internal parts you added are probably toast if you ran it with no oil. Start from scratch on that.

After it runs, look at the fender. Regarding the fender: try to roll it. If it crumbles who cares, you were going to replace it anyway with fresh metal but at least it won't slice your tire until you get to it. A GOOD body shop or hot rod shop should be able to zip you out a new piece and install it VERY quickly and it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

These cars are mechanically simple and relatively easy to work on. Yes, it is discouraging when you don't know why it works - hang in there. Don't give up on a car you like because of a running problem.