Engine, Intake, Exhaust Modifications to your Normally Aspirated Hyundai engine. Cold Air Intakes, Spark Plugs/wires, Cat back Exhaust...etc.

Low oil light, loss of power, knocking, won't idle

Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default Low oil light, loss of power, knocking, won't idle

Long story short: Car was low on oil and knocking really loudly. Filled oil up. Now car has no power, and can't even idle. Still knocking really loudly. Ideas?

The full version:

Last night my car was idling, and just as I was about to park, it died. Tried to start it, and it appeared the battery was dead. After screwing around trying to jump start it, I finally realized the connection to the positive battery terminal was loose... unrelated. Anyway, I tightened that up, and tried to start it. Turned over slowly, but did start. It was knocking really badly and sounded terrible, and I saw the low oil light come on. I immediately shut it off, checked the dip stick and it was totally dry. Added a quart of oil, tried again, same exact response (started, but didn't sound good or run well, low oil light still on, shut it off). I was tired and it was cold, so I left it until the morning.

Checked the dip stick in the morning, still low. I only live about 1/4 mile if that from a gas station, it was -11 outside, so I figured I'd be able to just drive there to get some more oil. I knew it had at least a quart of oil that I put in the night before, so even though it obviously couldn't be good for the car to be driving right now, it was such a short distance I'd just keep the RPMs low and coast there until I could get more oil (which would solve the problem, or so I thought). Started up slowly again, and idled/sounded really rough. Engine was loud and clunking and knocking. Despite everything being completely frozen, I immediately tried to drive very slowly to the gas station. There was a significant loss of power, as in I had to keep it about 70% throttle in 1st gear just to go about 15mph. It was driving so terribly and so loud that after about 3 blocks I decided I'd rather just walk the rest of the way than blow my engine up. Pulled off on a side street, and just as I did, the engine died. Coasted (almost) to a parking spot on the side of the road. Left it with my flashers on.. Got two more quarts of oil and added it. Dip stick finally showed full. Tried to start it, by this time the battery is pretty worn (and it's freezing cold out), so it had a hard time, but eventually turned over. Got it idling, it was still really loud and knocking badly, but I figured it would smooth out once all the new oil had a chance to circulate in the system and heat up a little. About 30 seconds later (idling on its own), the car died. Perplexed, I try to start it a few more times, and it turns over, but then dies immediately (as in, never actually really started). After doing this a couple times, the battery is too dead to even turn it over. So I put it in neutral and push the car to a parking spot on the side street, and find a ride to work.

Really have no idea what the problem could be. Also note that the car has been driving completely fine lately, I've gotten good gas mileage consistently the last few months, the car has been burning (or maybe leaking) some oil for about the last year, maybe about 1/2-1 qt every 500ish miles, I keep a 5qt jug in the car, and usually stay on top of that. I've not seen the low oil light come on ever since I've owned the car besides today. I also searched all around the ground to see if there were any pools of oil, and didn't see anything.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:38 PM

Vehicle: 2010/Hyundia/Genesis Coupe 2.0T Track

Where did your oil go? Maybe some burnt? Maybe some wet fouled plugs? You check your plugs yet?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

no matter the outcome, if its your dd, just plan on a new motor. you cant have a dependable oil starved motor without a complete tear down and inspection at the least.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Fill it 50/50 with regular motor oil and automatic transmission oil. Drive gingerly a couple of days. You would be surprised.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

. . . or not.

If you want to flush the gunk (from burning on too little, too old oil) out, go get a commercial engine oil flush and follow the directions. Then change the oil.

Recharge the battery if you have a charger, or use somebody else's charging system to do so, before trying to start the engine any more. It is hard on an alternator to try to charge a dead-flat battery AND run the car.

It is also possible that something in the ignition or charging system has gone out.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis Coupe 2L track

Commercial engine flush more than likely = diesel fuel.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

does anyone think the low oil was a coincidence and the timing belt slipped a tooth or something? any way i could test that theory? and isn't it a bit strange that all this happened when it was -11 outside.. the only/coldest day we've had all year?
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Timing is pretty fast/easy to check. The coldness wouldn't help the battery OR the oil.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

You've possibly cooked a ring or four, it sounds like it is low on compression. Maybe you cooked a hydraulic lifter and it is holding a valve open? I'd definitely be taking the rocker cover off and taking a look in there, chances are its gonna be NASTY.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Loud noise, Low oil, More than likely If i was you, I would really really just say f*ck it, start finding a donor for a new motor.

What i suspect with cold oil and low oil.

Loud noise would probably be some slaping between the Follower and the cams, smashing the Caps, now you probably have a bent Valve and are at a lack of compression due to a bent valve.

That would be my Prognoises? <Spell Check