Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

tiburon fixing valves on cylinder 1

Old 04-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 98 hyundai tiburon
Default tiburon fixing valves on cylinder 1

whats up guys,

this week my tiburon took a sh*t on me

the timing belt went bad , so we replaced it and figured out that my valves are bent in cylinder 1 , so this week i will be getting it replaced and wanted to knw what would be the best route to take while having the head off my car...

I was thinking about getting the intake manifold ports opened up a bit and also maybe porting the head , whats the difficulty of the two and should i do it??
Old 04-09-2011, 03:14 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

if it was me, id just get a junkyard head and swap that in or even look into getting a entire motor from the junkyard instead of spending the money fixing your obvious high mileage motor (im assuming here based on the fact that its a 98)

the valves had to hit somethin to bend so you probably have a notch in your piston or the head

getting a cylinder head p&p is gonna run you AT LEAST 400 bux, not really worth the small gains youll get unless you plan on making big power (more than NA can offer to be honest)
Old 04-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can find a head off a "running" junkyard engine, or if you can get a guarantee on the head, +1 for a junkyard head. Then it is as near as possible to "plug and play." Be sure to get a new head gasket and a new set of bearings for the timing belt. A new water pump might not be a bad idea if it is the original pump.

Valves by themselves are available in the $12 each range, if you just want to replace the valves.

Unless you ran a compression/leakdown test, you should suspect more than just cylinder 1's valves being bad. My spare head came with 2 obviously-bent valves and two that looked straight until I spun them and looked closely (with the valves out of the head). The pistons that had bent the valves were not damaged at all.

To just "open up" the ports will quite possibly kill what little flow quality there is. If you really want to do something to improve air flow but are not sure what, just grind the casting flash down a little, especially in the intake ports' short turn radius, and then call it a job. Even Singh grooves can be done wrong by an unsteady hand. A full performance head treatment can run into 20-40 man-hours and those don't come cheap. If you think you are going to "port and polish and go to town with a grinder without knowing what you are doing, you are very likely to hurt rather than help. This is highly-skilled labor.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:37 PM

well its not a matter of money, I have a friend who went to UTI and worked at Nissan/Hyundai for two years so hes familiar with these engines, we did the timing belt and wen we got it started we did leakdown/compression test and cylinder one is the only bad one, all others are reading 190 compression and no leaks

it would cost me nothing to get it fixed basically buying the parts

I was looking into a new head i will find out what to do once we crack open the motor
Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In that case, go for the valves alone!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM

sounds like a plan to me

ima see what the intake manifold ports look like and prolly clean them up too bad i didnt have money for cams