Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Subwoofer Box

Old 06-17-2007, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those look pretty sick but i dont see how they wouldnt require much airspace... You could always get slim mount subs that only require .5-/75 cu foot or just get a box that isnt too bad to move around then you could just move it if you needed your spare
Old 06-17-2007, 11:38 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Using fiberglass is the way you'll get the most efficient space usage out of the trunk though. I wouldn't completely discount it. If you can get something that requires 1/2 CuFt, you could just use the areas behind the wheel wells and still have use of your entire trunk.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:40 PM

I went with free air woofers.
You dont need a full box.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:44 PM
DTN

Free air subwoofers have the worst sound reproduction out of all of the options, free air, ported, or sealed. Sealed being the best, ported being the loudest. Free air is not a good sounding or loud speaker mounting method.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:53 PM

I have 2pioneer 10s and they sound great.
They arent the loudest but you can here me coming.
I acualy have gotten alot of coments how they arent in an enclosed box how good they sound.
I dont know about other subs but my pioneers sound good.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:32 AM
DTN

^^ I'm not saying free-air speakers don't sound good... I'm saying, if you take free-air, sealed, and ported speakers all comparable in power, weight, and size, the sealed will have the most precice sound reproduction, the ported will be the loudest, and the free-air will take up the least space.

the low sides are sealed are the most quiet, ported take up the most space and free-air are the most likely to distort.

the cool things are sealed take up least space, ported have distortion built in so they always sound good even when they're reaching the limits of their suspension, and the free airs can be put anywhere.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

The thing is that I have 2 subs that I got during christmas that are both fairly expensive and I dont want to just go and buy new ones when I have more than good ones already you know? I dont know Im going to figure something out.

Ah I just wish I could Fiberglass, dont have the money for that though bc I feel like I would mess up and be a wastttte....
Old 06-18-2007, 12:37 PM
DTN

check out my fiberglass DIY... if you mess up you'll be able to repair it. It costs $130 for the materials to build a single sub 1CuFt FG box like mine. You just gotta put up the time.

You can always reduce the ammount of FG you use by building a face and base out of 3/4" or 1" partical board, then fiberglassing the back of it into the shape you want. it would be easy enough... just cut out the base like you want it, tape off the trunk, lay thepre-cut partical board down, then lay some fiberglass over that on the walls of the trunk. Then you pull it out, add some more layers, nail the face of the speaker box to the base, stretch a shirt over it, fiberglass the shirt and keep adding layers. Once you're done with that, sand it down to make it look pretty, and put some bondo over it, sand the bondo down, then paint or carpet.

Using this method you could probly knock 1/2 of the cost of fiberglass off, bringing the total to about $150. It takes time, but fiberglass is forgiving. If you ask a shop to make 2 fiberglass boxes for you, they'll probly quote you at $800.

If I were you, i'd probly review that DIY a few times, then bring it to your parents attention. They may be willing to go for it. You'd be supprised how many people find fiberglass to be really interesting because it is something normally reserved for industrial applications like port-a-johns. Keep in mind this is a $800 value project you'd be able to do for $150. http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=21556

I made due with special tools including a jig-saw, and vibrating sander I bought at walmart and a dremmel for removing smaller bits of fiberglass (same stuff you'd use on wood). The rest was expendable materials. Not to mention I did my work in a parking lot and on a piece of drop plastic outside my single bedroom appartment. It dosn't take a whole shop. It's really a simple project and you'll be happy with the results once you finish because you'll actually have some usable trunk space... Not to mention that you'll be able to pop your trunk, step back and say "I custom molded those speakers into my trunk out of fiberglass". Or you can make a square box out of wood.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:28 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^^Thanks alot DTN. Im gonna go ahead and go for it I think. I have read your DIY beofre but didnt understand all of the words but I'll figure it out. Im gonna hopefully get started on one before summer is over I just dont have alot of time but I am going to try... Thanks again and when I start I will post pics