Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Sigh I messed up :(

Old 02-15-2005, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sigh I messed up :(

Was driving to work this morning, and went to park, and I have to do a U-turn to park parallel to the curb, and as im moving into place, I put on my brakes, not knowing it's icy...and my car slams into the curb with my front right tire.

It broke one of the lug nuts off, and ripped the bolt off all the way down to the hub. The other 3 nuts remain tightly on there....haven't had time to check it out yet.

I was driving to get gas later in the day however, and right when I started my car it started to make this weird sound, which went away after awhile, and seemed to change in pitch when i put the clutch in(or shifted to neutral)...it was like a very very loud ticking sound. I pulled into the gas station and popped the hood, to listen to the sound. I pushed on the little accelerator lever under the hood to give it some gas, and it revved up and the sound got louder, and then the car just completely shut off....

I put 5.00 gas in, and started it....and the sound went away? I'm worried that something is wrong. I have to pay to get a new stud hammered into the hub(I think I do anyways)....and I am just wondering if I should have someone check something else out while I'm doing this? and what? I am 2nd owner and car has 57,600 miles on it...so im close to out of warranty...Also have VHR clutch....so it won't cover that...
Old 02-15-2005, 05:48 AM

this may sound stupid.. but check your bumber and fender. it may be tapping against the mudguard or wheelwell. You may have knocked it loose... Just put it in neutral and listen to it. Push in on the fender and bumper see if it stops. Mine did the same thing. I was so scared......

Now this wont cause the car to shut off. but maybe that was something else completely. idunno just a thought
Old 02-15-2005, 06:21 AM

& That is why i dont drive my tib in the winter! Get a beater don't put ur tib thru that sh*t! I think majiktib had a problem very similar to this where one of the lug screws male piece thingey broke off his hub, i don't believe it would be covered under warranty, but take it to your dealership. I don't think he paid that much for it. You might wanna pm majiktib.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: 1991 Olds Cutlass

hey guys.. i did the same thing... i had to replace my lower a arm.. and the ty rod ends...... then it was fixed..... but i also did the same thing somewhere else.. i hit a curb, 3 of the lugs broke right off, and i rode on 1 for like 10 feet before i could pull over... its not very hard to replace but you have to be careful when you go to take your rotors off if you are putting them back on. They are very tight fitted and do not use a hammer if u dont need to, i did and my rotor is warped from barely tapping it... so now my car shakes like h3ll when i go to brake.....
Old 02-15-2005, 09:49 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

You can replace stud yourself (we even have a DIY for it here if it got brought along onto the new site..) instead of paying mechanic 50-60 bucks. (not that much but hey, I try to save every penny on labor costs).

Don't hammer, it will warp your rotor and when you brake it will squeek, and if it warps enough it'll shake.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:15 AM

wow.. guess I lucked out when I tried to destroy a kerb in Philly.. I actually managed to flatten part of my rim... but that was really all the damage I did.. save for making a loose tie rod end into a bad tie rod end.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:15 PM

use a dead blow hammer also known as a rubber mallet and you don't have to worry about screwing up your rotors. as long as you don't go bezerk and start beating the crap out of it. just tap it.
you guys run into too many curbs. try slowing down before turning. hehe
Old 02-18-2005, 06:21 PM

Mine was in the rain at night... and it was an island in the middle of the road I was turning onto....