Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Reusing headbolts??

Old 04-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The car company can charge a customer for new head bolts with no difficulty. THEY pay if a warranty job goes bad AND they can pass the cost along, and still they say "unlimited reuse." I'm inclined to re-use. Some Korean engineer spent a lot of effort on that decision and I trust it over any number of "gut feelings" from those who did not do the math on either the materials engineering or the warranty bean counting.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Accent

Urban myth. I re-use them until they are passed the spec'd length. i think i've done this about ~75 times in my life span. Just a rough guestimate.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Tucson GLS 2.7 4WD

Thats a Big Negative.

Hyundai uses whats called 'Torque-to-Yield' bolts (as one commentor mentioned 'yield') for the radius in which must be applied per bolt (the specified Ft Lbs per Degree of rotation), per vehicle specs. And you also will need to use the proper Torque Wrench that provides both Radius(Degree) & Ft.Lbs (You can rent or use loan-a-tool for this, as such a tool will run you in upwards to $350 min.)

T2Y Bolts, once streched, an attempt to re-use them can result in a different final torque being applied to the head (un-even), even if you follow the guidelines of step roation (tightening bolts in a specific order)

Bottom line... If this were the old days, you could get away with re-using parts... they were made differently. Unfortunately, today is a different story.

The real question you need to ask yourself... Do you want to chance a bolt snapping during the assembly process just to save a few bucks? This is not a scare tactic, its just saying todays parts are what they are. I think we all understand that.

I've got a 2005 Tucson with 230k, and the only reason I'm having to do a head job is because I was stupid in not replacing my timing belt at 100k (minimum), so, because my engine is interference, a few valves tagged the pistons. I'm fortunate to have only incured minor damage.

General pricing... A set of head bolts will run you 40-50 dollars depending upon where you get them from. Purchasing from an east coast dealership will also help save on tax as well.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

This is the old days. The OP is about a set of bolts on a 20 year old engine, and you are not correct. Torque plus angle fasteners are not all torque to yield fasteners but all TTY fasteners must be torque plus angled. Torque plus angle is not the same as torque to yield. Torque plus angle is a tightening technique to ensure a specific amount of clamping force - it does not necessarily imply that the stretch pulls the bolt into its plastic range. If a bolt never stretches past the point it won't rebound when it is loosened, you don't have to replace it unless a) it is obviously damaged or b) you feel like it. If it's still in the elastic range, reuse is fine.

Hyundai specifically stated that head bolts on the Beta can see "unlimited reuse". I still don't have access to hyundaitechinfo, but that's probably where this site copy-and-pasted their table: http://www.rebuiltautoengines.com/hyundai-articles.html

Observe the "torque plus angle plus angle" method of tightening in the specified sequence, and the head bolts are on these engines are ok to reuse. I have seen several first-hand accounts of seasoned mechanics who claim to reuse head bolts without a single care, as long as they are not required by the manufacturer to be replaced.

If you want to replace them because you feel like it, that's legit. It's your engine, money, and prerogative. But don't say the head bolts on this specific engine must always be replaced.

edit to add: a torque wrench and a protractor are all that's needed because angles are pretty simple. You don't need a spiffing torque wrench plus angle measuring combo wrench. There are also $13 adapters you can put on a regular wrench to show angles.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:10 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Tucson GLS 2.7 4WD

Pardon some of my terminology referencing turning, angle and the like, but I think everyone gets the idea, along with your clarification.

With regards to the link you provided, the AERA Tech Committee also posted the following...

-----

The AERA Technical Committee offers the following information ...

... To install the head on this engine refer to the following steps and <<< also note Hyundai does not recommend reusing any head bolt more than once >>>

-----

However, I think were both in the same thinking of "to-each-his-own" when it comes to re-use of head bolts. Some do with no problem, some don't and prefer to replace with new.