Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Tiburon Forum (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-tiburon-forum-63/)
-   -   RD as a daily driver at this point? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-tiburon-forum-63/rd-daily-driver-point-83899/)

JonGTR 12-18-2018 05:55 AM

As long as there is not sludge under the oil cap, there shouldn't be a problem with the mileage.

I don't know about any ECU problems. If there were, they are easy and cheap to replace now.

tibbytib 12-18-2018 10:01 AM

The only time I've heard of ECU problems is when people try to wire in something and they have no idea what they are doing. AFAIK, they are pretty solid from the factory.

Tiberius 12-18-2018 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by JonGTR (Post 720136)
As long as there is not sludge under the oil cap, there shouldn't be a problem with the mileage.

I don't know about any ECU problems. If there were, they are easy and cheap to replace now.

By sludge you mean the caffe latte colored pudding looking cream thing? If it has that, it normally is a sign of what? Because I would think that it's probably pretty easy to clean the oil cap off if the seller wants to be dishonest? So is there another thing to watch out for if you want to catch the same problem, besides the oil cap?

About the ECU being easy and cheap to replace now, you say that because there are enough of them in the used market?

Thanks.

Tiberius 12-18-2018 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by tibbytib (Post 720137)
The only time I've heard of ECU problems is when people try to wire in something and they have no idea what they are doing. AFAIK, they are pretty solid from the factory.

Ok, good to know. Thanks.

JonGTR 12-18-2018 02:11 PM

There were no "common problems" for the RD Tiburons. Yea, I know it sounds unbelievable considering every other vehicle has these. The only thing you have to look out for is negligence on the part of the owner.

Tiberius 12-19-2018 03:34 AM

Great to know. I thought the ECU thing was bogus. It sounded more like badge snobbery or something really.

What do you guys think of the mileage? Is it even reasonable to expect finding examples with much less miles at this point?

By the way, are those 16" or 17" wheels on your white car JonGTR? I think 17" is probably the largest which will fit? The wheel arches on the car seem pretty small.

JonGTR 12-19-2018 11:41 AM

Anything under 100k is a good find.

The wheels are from the factory, sort of. I imported them from the UK which came off a special edition 1999 F2 Evolution model. They are 16".

Tiberius 12-19-2018 01:53 PM

Nice. Did they ever come with 17" from the factory, even if only in Korea?

How many miles does yours have by the way?

Tiberius 12-19-2018 03:27 PM

Just came across some info online talking about a Quaife torsen diff that would fit the Tiburon and was sold in the early 2000s. The posts says: It was a DSM piece that had one gear reversed, taking advantage of the Alpha and Beta motors and trannies being mirror-image copies of the Mitsu 4g61/3 drivetrains.

Is this still available and is it worth getting it?

tibbytib 12-21-2018 01:48 AM

From what I understand is they are a modified dsm diff. Meaning the warranty become void. You'd need to contact quaife to see if they still have some collecting dust on the shelf and how modifying it for the Beta affects it's warranty.

I'd say a better option is a Kaaz diff. They actually make it for the Beta ii tranny. Not sure if it'll fit the beta I or not. Someone else will need to chime in on that one.