Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Aftermarket (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/)
-   Hyundai Tiburon Forum (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-tiburon-forum-63/)
-   -   RD as a daily driver at this point? (https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/forum/hyundai-tiburon-forum-63/rd-daily-driver-point-83899/)

Tiberius 12-12-2018 03:16 AM

Another piece of info I can't find anywhere. Where they disc breaks on all 4 wheels? Especially the RD2?

Tiberius 12-14-2018 02:04 AM

I'm not sure if anybody is still watching this thread, but I have yet another question. Does the Tiburon share the steering wheel and gear knob with other Hyundais? I found one to buy where it seems to be in good condition but the leather steering wheel and knob is totally worn out.

Thanks.

2000J25SP 12-14-2018 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tiberius (Post 720123)
Another piece of info I can't find anywhere. Where they disc breaks on all 4 wheels? Especially the RD2?

I have seen both.

Originally Posted by Tiberius (Post 720125)
I'm not sure if anybody is still watching this thread, but I have yet another question. Does the Tiburon share the steering wheel and gear knob with other Hyundais? I found one to buy where it seems to be in good condition but the leather steering wheel and knob is totally worn out.

Thanks.

The Tiburon RD wheel looks identical to my J2 Elantra (2000) steering wheel. Although they were not leather wrapped.

I believe the Elantra XD 2001 to 2006 had the same shift knob as the RD2.

Tiberius 12-15-2018 12:25 PM

Thanks. That's good to know.

Is there a guide for colors available and how many of each color made for each year of the RD and RD2? I couldn't find anything.

Tiberius 12-15-2018 12:54 PM

And I have seen cars with Yamaha written on the back with FX. What's that about?

tibbytib 12-15-2018 01:00 PM

As for colors, I'm sure there is a PDF of a brochure floating online somewhere, should show trims and colors available.

As for the yamaha symbol......eh.... not sure on that one.

Tiberius 12-15-2018 01:24 PM

Thanks. I will try to google tiburon pdf.

For colors, from what I could gather looking for RD2 cars for sale online, it seems Silver is the most common, not surprisingly. Followed by blue, which did surprise me. I thought black would be second. But I guess it was different back then. Today every car is silver, black or white.

Yellow seems to be the most rare with the RD2. Very rare actually.

It looks like this in order of most common to least common:

Silver
Blue
Red
Black
Yellow

About the Yamaha thing, I did read somewhere something about Yamaha's involvement, if I'm not confusing cars. Maybe with the engine? But did they have a Yamaha special edition? Who knows. Maybe in Korea. They seem to have had some special editions only sold in Korea.

tibbytib 12-15-2018 04:24 PM

You may be confusing cars. Hyundai did get some outside help though. Apparently Porsche helped design the suspension in the RDs, and a rumor that Lotus also helped. Also rumors of Pinnafarina helping design the RD's lines as well! Probably why I still get compliments on my car every time I take it out! Still absolutely love the style of the RD1s! Timeless IMO.

Tiberius 12-15-2018 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by tibbytib (Post 720132)
You may be confusing cars. Hyundai did get some outside help though. Apparently Porsche helped design the suspension in the RDs, and a rumor that Lotus also helped. Also rumors of Pinnafarina helping design the RD's lines as well! Probably why I still get compliments on my car every time I take it out! Still absolutely love the style of the RD1s! Timeless IMO.

I think the Pininfarina bit may be true. The lines are very similar to several cars designed by Pininfarina. The curves of the original RD1 are very Italian. The RD2 redesign is specially Italian. It's full of Italian cues. From the quad round headlights to the scoupes in the rear bumper. Pininfarina has designed a few cars for Hyundai since. So it's possible that the relationship started much before back when the RD was being designed.

I knew about the Porsche involvement. They helped develop the whole chassis actually and also tested the cars on their track in Stuttgart.

Never heard about Lotus. But since Porsche was involved I doubt Lotus was too. They basically provide the same type of service.

But I think I read something about Yamaha. But I can't remember what or where. I've been doing so much reading about these cars. But I saw a picture of one with a Yamaha badge on the trunk. Said Yamaha FX.

About the brochure, I couldn't find any. Only for the 2003 and newer Tiburons. So if you have any tips as where to find it I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Tiberius 12-18-2018 05:21 AM

I found a Tiburon which I want to buy! It's not low mileage though. It has about 90K miles on the clock. To be concerned?

By the way, a friend of mine who buys and sells cars said I should be careful as these Tiburons are notorious for ECU problems. Is that true?