RD as a daily driver at this point? - Hyundai Aftermarket

Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

RD as a daily driver at this point?

Old 12-07-2018, 05:59 AM

Vehicle: Tiburon potentially
Default RD as a daily driver at this point?

Hi,

I like the classic Tiburons. But the newest ones are 18 years old at this point. I would like to have one to enjoy and use it as a daily driver. It's very hard to find information on these cars online. For the 2003 and newer MKII is much easier to find info on. So I could find no buyer guides or tips to what look for when buying one, the weak points to pay attention too, potential problems etc. Or even a model guide following all years. It seems to be a very under appreciated little gem.

Modern Kias are very reliable. But are the RD cars? I hear the engine is. But what about the rest? Especially electrics and electronics too? What about rust? And what about parts availability? Only used at this point?

On the other side of the spectrum, are the engines easy and cheap to boost power if you want to stay NA? How much power can you reasonably expect? Are there things like short shifters still available?

I love the curvy lines and the overall look and would love to drive one. Think the style was way ahead of its time. Just now cars are starting to catch up. If you pay attention the moulded sides and creases of the RD is everywhere now a days. But the RD is a classic type of shape. Really nice.

My favorite is the RD2. It seems most prefer the RD1, which is also very nice. But I have a preference for the RD2.

So is buying one as a daily driver a good idea at this point? Or they are better enjoyed as weekend cars or the like? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old Yesterday, 02:48 PM

I was told this was the biggest forum for the RD. Perhaps it's just too late in the game and interest for it has died down? Maybe it's a sign to avoid it?
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

The RD community is getting smaller and smaller. But don't let that hinder your appreciation and love for the first gen tibs! They are great cars! Keep the fluids changed and timing belts fresh, and will last just as long as any Honda or Toyota.

Trouble is finding them in good shape these days. They are hard to come by. If you find one with low miles, pick it up! But do yourself a favor, replace the timing belt asap. Enjoy your search and hopefully you chime in soon with an RD to brag about!
Old Today, 12:56 AM

Thanks for chiming in.

Would you have any tips concerning my questions above? Is there a better place to ask?

In terms of miles I have only found cars around the 100K miles mark. Should I steer clear? Like you said they are hard to come by and I can't be searching for 6 months. I need a daily soon.