Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Rattling from right front wheel

Old 06-01-2011, 08:02 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Rattling from right front wheel

I have a rattling sound which seems to be comming from my right front tire. I can't reproduce it in it's full glory it because it's only on really bumpy roads. I can make a sound that kinda sounds like it by kicking the tire on the front (making it jiggle left), but kicking the back of the tire makes no such noise.

I've eliminated the brake heat shield, however that thing may be amplifing the sound. I put the car up on a 4 point lift and could not figure out what was making the sound. The wheel bearing is fine and was changed a while ago. The tire is on properly. The hub seems to be secured properly.

This has been going on for a while now. I don't know what can be making this metal-on-metal noise. Everything is tight and it seems to be comming from around the wheel. It's driving me nuts because there's only a few things it could be and it seems to be nothing when I diagnose it.

Any ideas what I should check?
Old 06-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Check you have a cranial or hardhat with goggles when you start bashing with a light sledge or heavy mallet.

Try sway bar and steering links, and bushings.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 PM
DTN

Thanks. I tried a mallet. Anything else to check? It will be a few days until I can look again... I'm away from home now.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe the brake caliper is loose on the sliding pin thingy on one side? Check the wheel bearing again for grins?
Old 06-04-2011, 06:00 PM
DTN

Fixed.. Thanks.

It was a combination of the brake pins and slide hardware... together they make one heck of a rattle, but separately, i could not recognize the sound....

Fix was: Disassemble breaks, apply brake-quiet to back of slide-hardware, reapply brake-quiet to back of brake pads, grease brake pad tracks, fill the brake slide holes with grease, reassemble.

Those brake slides were making a thunk and the slide-hardware was making a rattle. The rattle was the worst.

The problem is gone now!
Old 06-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Flippin sweet.