Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Question About Window And Dealer Trouble

Old 08-30-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day while I was driving I hit the down button to make my window go down. Instead of smoothly going down it went down about an inch then just fell down into the door. It didn't go up after that when I hit the up button. Now I dont know a lot about cars let alone how the window works. I have a 2001 tiburon by the way. I took the door panel off to see what was up. From what i could see there was a pulley and a cable, when I hit the window button the pulley would spin but the cable was either broken or out of the pulley. My logical guess was that this was preventing the window from coming back up.

So I took it into the dealer cause its been raining here and plastic over the window gets annoying. The dealer said it needed a new regulator. So they fixed it and charged me $300. I was mad because I missed the warranty by 18 days. When I went to pick up the car there were no service people there so the only person I could talk to was some sales manager who knew as much about how the window works as I do.

My suspision is that since the pulley still moved when I hit the button that the regulator was fine. I was thinking that they would just put the cable back on the pulley charge me like maybe $100 and I'd be on my way. Can someone explain to me what the regulator does? Also why would a regulator need to be replaced? I'm pretty sure I got ripped off so I want to get as much info as I can about how the window in the door works so I can go back there armed with something.

Thanks,
Zach
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sorry man, when the regulator cable goes, it breaks the pulley with it.

Trust me, from experience a few times, you have to replace the whole assembly.

$300 sounds about right for a dealer, with labor or such.

I got one done under warranty, and did another one myself on my son's RD1. It took me about 2 hours total to get in and adjusted, and was pretty easy to do actually. Cost me $25 from someone on here, but you can get them brand new on ebay for right around $100 to 110 shipped.

DIY, it's cheaper next time.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:08 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

That sounds about right. They charged me $260
Old 08-31-2006, 06:07 AM

Alright, that sucks but thanks for the info.