Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Tps

Old 08-29-2006, 07:45 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while back i was having tps problems. Everything is running fine, but i just now got around to asking this question.

After installation of a new tps i didn't have the tps lined up quite right and the rpm's were "rolling" at idle. I unplugged the wires going into the tps and the car stopped rolling and ran perfectly fine. Of course I did not drive more than a mile like this in fear of damaging something, but I was just wondering if anybody knew why that worked?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm curious to how the TPS works myself. I believe it has a spring inside of it, and when that breaks it gives the problems people have with them.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:43 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

The TPS is basically just a reostat switch, controlled by the throttle.

I THINK the reason that the Dae Sung ones go bad is because moisture or dirt get inside them and cause it to sort of stick. The Kefico ones have a slightly different design, with an O-ring on the outside.

And that worked because the car doesn't really need to know the "position of the throttle" when it is idling. The idle is NOT controlled by the TPS, it is controlled by a manual adjustment screw on the TB itself.

Isn't that the TPS you bought from me? I tested that on my car mang, shouldn't be any issues..you still having problems with that? That was quite awhile ago...
Old 08-31-2006, 07:16 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

My Dae Sungs have O-Rings.
As for it not controlling the idle, my car was having issues of idling at 500 RPM if i turned on the AC. That went away with the TPS. I also had a wierd ass sucking noise at certain throttle positions which also went away.

In essence, it causes a lot of problems lol.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:34 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Aug 31 2006, 01:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Isn't that the TPS you bought from me? I tested that on my car mang, shouldn't be any issues..you still having problems with that? That was quite awhile ago...</div>

Everything is fine. I just now got around to asking the question. Just curiosity really.