Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New To The Game

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon GT Limited Edition 2.7L V6
Default New To The Game

Good Morning Everyone. I am a newbie! I just purchased a 2008 Tiburon GT Limited Edition V6 2.7L. I love it. Anyway I live in Ocean View, DE and from what my research shows so far there are NO performance shops out here within 80 miles of my residence, or so it seems. I was wondering if any of you new any GOOD RELIABLE and TRUSTWORTHY performance shops that I can build a relationship with to Tune and Mod my Tiburon, anything close to the Bay Bridge/Annapolis area?

Also I am looking at doing my first addition which would be an Intake. Does anyone have any advice on Short Ram VS Cold Air Intake? Also what manufacturer seems to be the best? I would like to go with an AEM CAI but I called AEM and they said they DO NOT make a CAI for the 2008 Tiburon. Can any of you give this Newbie any helpful advice, contacts at performance shops, or at least good direction for me to move in?

Thanks all and glad to be a part of the community!

Tony
Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Welcome to the site. It seems that you're eager to dive into your Tiburon and make things happen.

I don't know specifically about what aftermarket options it has, but I'm surprised AEM doesn't make a CAI for the 2.7 V6. Maybe they just didn't include MY08? I don't see why an earlier CAI wouldn't fit.

Maybe someone else can chime in. I would grab a CAI before a SRI to get as much air into that V6 as possible, but there are risks to CAI over SRI (hydrolocking).

What else are you looking to get? With a few NA parts, I don't know how effective a tune would be.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

to the world of Hyundai and to the forum!

When you say tuning shops, what exactly do you mean? Are you talking about shops that can install mods, or shops that have a dyno and can tune a car with Forced Induction?

As far as intakes go, there are alot to go with. CAI (cold air intakes) will deliver much more performance than short rams because they draw in cooler air from outside of the engine bay. If you live in an area that gets alot of rain or snow, you may want to get either a short ram or at least a by-pass valve to prevent the engine from being hydrolocked. Or, you could just remove the CAI and put the stock airbox back in during the rainy/snowy months.

As for manufacturers, its all going to be personal opinion and what you can afford. Most people prefer the AEM's and they also are at the top of the list for the amount of performance you'll get. You'll also pay a pretty good amount if you buy new. Alot of people make their own intakes or get a cheap ebay intake as well. The difference in power between an ebay intake and an AEM or Injen will be minimal (not enough to really feel). Just make sure if you go the cheap route, get yourself a really good filter, like a K&N or AEM.

I believe the AEM intakes are the same for all 3rd gen GK tibs. I'm not positive and maybe someone else can chime in, but any of them for the 2003+ should fit on your car.

Good luck, and enjoy your car! Let us know if you have any other questions!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Majik! Yes I would like to dive right in ;-). What is Hydrolocking that you referred to? I called AEM and they basically just said that they did not make a CAI for the 2008 specifically. I was told they say that because they have never tested the product on an '08 yet. The other shops i have spoken with all say that the 2.7L V6 GT engine was the same in 2006 as well as the Chassis. So they said that the AEM CAI would be a perfect match and fit for the 2008. I was just wondering if anyone else had info or knowledge on this.

I want to do the basic bolt on's initially....CAI, Exhaust, Engine Chip. Then I would eventually like to get into modifying the engine and making bigger upgrades like turbo's and possibly new engine and whatever else. Once the performance aspect starts to build I will step into the cosmetic factor. Also having a hard time finding a performance shop that I can get in with. I want to build a relationship and start from the ground up building up my Tiburon.

Thanks again for you help so far!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Hydrolocking is when your engine sucks up water and basically kills it. We can get more technical if you want, but thats the very very short explanation of it.

You have the right idea with doing the basic bolt ons for now, but stay away from ebay chips or any other type of chips that say they can give you a performance increase. They're all garbage and can actually hurt the car more than help it.

Basically, start by installing an intake, exhaust, a set of good headers, and see how you like the car at that point. If you want to go further, then you could always install nitrous. Forced Induction will involve quite a bit more work. Most of the V6 owners go with a supercharger over a turbo, since its an easier install and less of a hassle between the two. The important thing is to set REALISTIC goals for your car and go slow while doing a ton of research. Too many people get their cars who are new in the game and automatically want to do all this stuff without knowing the results or involvement with the build.

I wouldnt worry about finding a tuner shop until you're at the point of going with forced induction and a built engine. Right now, you're still in "newbie" mode and learning. Start with the basics, and take your time with the big stuff. You'll have less headaches, and be happier in the long run because you spent the time researching things and learning what your car is and isnt capable of.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 AM

Visionz!!! Thank you for the info! I know this is dumb but what is Hydrolocking? I have a feeling that it has to do with sucking up water and forcing that into the engine through the CAI. Anyway what is the by-pass valve and where does it go? Is that something I can install while personally installing the CAI?

I would like a shop that I can get all of my MODS done at as well as having them tune it, dyno it, and offer advice and suggestions about how to take the next steps and what should be done.

I do want to say quickly though....THANK YOU to VISIONZ and MAJIK!!! Thanks for the prompt replies and advice. You guys are AWESOME!

Any more advice or recommendations to online shops to purchase aftermarkets like CAI and exhausts and chips would be preferred. If you all trust or sponsor a certain online store I will buy from them.

BTW....I work enough to get the AEM so I think I am going to do that! ;-)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Visionz......I will take your advice!!! I will go slow and start simple. Once I get past the CAI, Exhaust, and Headers...I will do more research adn try to find a shop at that point. I greatly appreciate the advice adn will keep you updates as I SLOWLY transition out of the Newbie stage! ;-) I will get pics posted soon. Thanks again for the advice and willingness to help!

Any suggestion on online shops to buy from?
Old 06-28-2011, 08:54 AM

Majik,

Thinking of going with the AEM CAI, then maybe an exhaust, and then headers. Is the By-Pass valve something I can install while installing the CAI? Also any advice on an online shop to purcahse aftermarket parts from? Any recommendations?

Thanks again for al of your help and I think from what I am hearing and reading that teh AEM CAI made for the 2006 V6 GT will be the same for the 2008 as the engine and Chassis has never changed!

So you have a genesis? I bet it is AWESOME!

Thanks again!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

the bypass valve will help to prevent water from entering your engine if you suck it up through the filter. Usually people cut a one piece intake pipe to fit the bypass valve in there.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I suggest getting a generic Ebay CAI instead of wasting tons of money on an AEM. You'll get the same performance.

I gained 27whp and 26wtq with an Ebay intake, DC headers, and Ebay exhaust. Lots of improvement for very little cash.

See my dynos here: https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...ost__p__619501