Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

New 2001 Tiburon Owner

Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon
Default New 2001 Tiburon Owner

I picked up an 01 Tiburon last week to be my new commuter car. It's the manual 5 speed 2.0l engine...all stock. I need to take care of a few maintenance items and just wanted to check with you guys to make sure these parts sounded good:

- Change oil with 10W-30 Castrol GTX (Is it 4 quarts?)

- Change transmission fluid with Redline MT-90 (is it 2.2 or 2.7 quarts? I see different answers everywhere)

- I have an exhaust link, I want to replace all 3 exhaust gaskets and the header gasket. Anybody have these part numbers?

- Spark plugs and wires (Are NGK Iridium's good, or is there something better?)

- Flush the brake and clutch fluid (Should I use DOT 3 or DOT 4?) I have some DOT 4 ATE Blue fluid.

I also want to put on a cold air intake and a short shifter (along with new shift boot/knob and matching ebrake boot). Can I just get any old ebay air intake for $40 and put on my own AEM dry filter? The Kspec air intake looks good and is cheap. Thinking about going with the megan racing short shifter. Is there a better one for cheap?

And I noticed the whole car rocks back and forth a lot between shifts, seems like a worn motor/transmission mount problem? Is that common? Should I just get replacement oem mounts or is go with the polyurethane inserts? Is there just 2 mounts for the engine and 1 for the tranny? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

to the site and the wonderful world of Hyundai's! This is the #1 forum you can come to for answers to questions about your Tib. So if you have any others, dont be shy and feel free to ask away! We're really helpful here....

- Change oil with 10W-30 Castrol GTX (Is it 4 quarts?)

It is 4 quarts. Some people prefer to use Synthetic oil all the time, but its all subjective for yourself. If you're car has high mileage then its best to go with that type of oil. Otherwise, Castrol, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc...its what ever you want to use...

- Change transmission fluid with Redline MT-90 (is it 2.2 or 2.7 quarts? I see different answers everywhere)

2.2 is the right answer. MT-90 is great and will definitely improve the way the car shifts. You'll notice it especially if you have some crunching between syncros when you shift between 1st into 2nd and so on...

- I have an exhaust link, I want to replace all 3 exhaust gaskets and the header gasket. Anybody have these part numbers?

Not sure what the part numbers are, but if you log into Hyundai Web Tech (use internet explorer), you can get all that info. Its like a Hyundai manual, but online. Here are all the details in this thread -- https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...webtech-login/

- Spark plugs and wires (Are NGK Iridium's good, or is there something better?)

NGK's are good for the beta engine, but you do not need Iridium. V-power plugs work out pretty well.Their ignition cables are good too, but you can get Magnecore or even something like this off ebay which work awesome! http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-2M-RACING...-/250968146486

- Flush the brake and clutch fluid (Should I use DOT 3 or DOT 4?) I have some DOT 4 ATE Blue fluid.

DOT 3, but you can use DOT 4. Check to make sure it is compatible, some synthetic fluids will not mix right with conventional, so if you switch, you need to make a complete flush.

Good luck with everything!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:54 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

also if you are dead set on a intake, id just get a cheapo ebay one and replace the filter with a k&n(or aem as you said)

it will work just as well as the 150 aem for roughly 1/3 of the price

as for the mounts there are "technically" 2 months and 2 roll stoppers

there is a mount on the passenger side for the engine, one on the drivers for the trans

and 2 on a brace under the car that connect to the transmission

start off with the 2 under the car, the other 2 are more for side to side movement

if you do replace em, expect A LOT of vibration as those mounts soften feel of the motor
Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Welcome to the site and to the wonderful (horrible?) world of Tiburon ownership!

First off... Pics?

Second, you may want to keep the factory intake and just upgrade the filter in the box. I have a short ram on my 2000 Tib (identical to yours), but I am seriously considering switching back to stock.

Third, if the exhaust leak is at the manifold, I don't have the part number, but if it is under the car there are flange style gaskets at almost any local parts store that should work just fine.

Fourth, PICS!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:58 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I have a spare a manifold gasket if you need it, and isnt it 4.5 quarts of oil? Pics or the new addition?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Also, I believe there was a Hyundai recall for cracked manifolds. If you dont end up going with a header, then go to your local Hyundai dealer and ask them to replace the manifold under the recall. It wont cost you anything other than the time to have it fixed in a day.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Wow, thanks so much for all the help everyone, you guys rock! It's got 138k miles on it, so I'll just stick with regular 10W-30 Castrol. I had another older vehicle with high mileage and I switched to synthetic and it started leaking out of every crevice.

Sweet, I'll go with MT-90, luckily I had some still around from my last car. Where can you find a magnetic transmission drain bolt? I like to put those on there just as an added caution.

Would using Iridium plugs cause any harm to these engines? I like to use them cause they last a lot longer than conventional plugs. Wow, those plug wires are 10.2mm (most are usually 7mm). Even though they're generic brand, they'd be okay to use?

Not sure if I'll swap to Dot 4 fluid, maybe I'll just stick with Dot 3. I'll have to double check which exhaust gasket is leaking too. And for the motor/trans mounts, I may just buy replacement oem rubber ones. I don't really want any vibrations that the poly mounts would cause.

Why does it sound like everyone is against a CAI? Don't they add a bit of horespower to these engines, or is it a total waste of time? Thanks again for all the help!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:15 AM

I'll get some pics tonight after work. It's nothing incredible. But pretty darn good shape and the interior is nearly perfect shape.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Cold air intakes are ok, but provide only minimal gains. Many will put a short-ram (warm air) intake on their car and call it a cold air, those things blow, I should know, that's what's on my car right now. True cold air intakes can suck up water if you drive through a deep enough puddle, consider a bypass valve and drive carefully if you do install one. Or, you could keep the intake stock, but that's just boring.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

the manifold was never under recall, now they did release a TSB on it

they extended the warranty of it to somethin like 8 year/80000 miles or some sh*t like that

so pretty much all tibs/elantras are out of warranty for the exhaust manifold

nah most arent against a CAI, we just have had one and realized spending AEM kind of money is ridiculous

go with a ebay special and replace the filter, expect between a 8-12 hp increase