Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Need help on what i should do with my TIB

Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Need help on what i should do with my TIB

So I bought a 99 tiburon last year at an auction for 1000 bucks, anyways it had 165k on it but when I got it i didn't get to drive it or anything and the Overdrive never worked. So i've been driving it around in drive over the last year (3 gears) and I think its time for a new transmission. Only problem is I don't know if I should do the manual swap as that may take alot of time since this is my only vehicle but I know it in the long run its the better decision, or If i should buy another used junkyard auto-trans. My question is, if I swap it how many man hours + costs is this going to be?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE

If you want to enjoy the car properly, get the manual swap done. The car is not nearly as fun to drive as an automatic and you'll get a lot more life out of your manual one (if you drive it normally). I'm running at almost 250k km on my transmission now and it still has not posed a single problem.

As for labour and costs, I haven't a clue. If you're lucky, you can find a manual transmission from a scrap yard with a reasonable amount of mileage on it, along with the other parts you'll need. Otherwise, look for part-out threads on the forums and you might find something you're looking for.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

Well you will need everything from the clutch peddle (peddle assembly) to the flywheel. You will most likely want the beta manual ecm as the beta auto ecm will be wondering WTF is going on with the TCM and the TCM will be like WTF were is the tranny LOL. You are sure to get some kind of CEL or something.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon SE

Originally Posted by HotBlue02
You are sure to get some kind of CEL or something.

*Unplug the light bulb behind the panel*

CEL problem solved.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Man-hours: a very long day or a solid week-end. A helper or two really helps.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

We have a few DIYs somewhere.

I swapped from an automatic to a manual. No CEL ever.

It took me and my cousin about 16 hours, did it over the weekend. We got everything EXCEPT the transmission from a junk yard for $200. I got the transmission from a member on here for $300 shipped I think. You can do it for a similar cost.

You don't need a new ECU; the DIY shows how to rewire it. It's really just tapping into one wire with a constant 12V source, and messing with 2 wires on the transmission control plug I think.

There are several topics on the A/T to M/T swap. Here's the DIY I used. You can't get much more detailed than this. It answered every question we could've thought of during the swap.

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...clutch-instal/
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Thanks you guys are awesome! When I get off another day I'm going to head to the junkyard and have my brother help pull the stuff needed for a trans, I seen some manuals off an elantra with about 155k. The cars all smashed up so im guessing thats why its there not the motor/trans blew or w/e. Now can I take the Clutch pedals and everything needed for a swap off an 97 elantra? It has the beta engine so Im guessing i can.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

They are the same car with different trim and sheet metal. As long as it had a Beta engine, you should be good.