Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

More gas tank problems and some alignment questions

Old 12-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon
Default More gas tank problems and some alignment questions

I'll start with the new gas tank problem. I was filling up today and had the pump stuck so it would fill on its own. I went to check my phone and come back to see the fueling had stopped...at .988 gallons. The needle still isn't working but I've been filling up roughly every 180 miles which is about 7 gallons. I started it again and it clicked off about 5 more times. The last time I looked and gas was dribbling out. I waited a few seconds and the gas eventually went in and I could fill more before it clicked off again. It worries me that I never know when the tank is full or how much is in there. any thoughts?

Question two: Are the 2000 rds front wheel drive. I remember reading it but I'm not really sure how to tell. Its my first front wheel drive car if it is. The reason I'm asking is the car tends to pull to the left when I get on the gas after I shift. I'll put the clutch in and it will pull slightly right, then when I put the gas on it pulls slightly left. Is something wrong with a belt, or alignment or is this possibly caused by the power going to the front tires and them moving slightly when the gas is engaged again?

Thanks if you guys can understand what I'm trying to say.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A) charcoal filter could be clogged common on rd's sadly I believe its not a cheap fix.

B ) yes we are fwd
Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

E charcoal canister... It goes bad when you repeatedly overfill the tank.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by DTN
E charcoal canister... It goes bad when you repeatedly overfill the tank.

Is it a cheap and quick fix or am I looking at some money? And is it dangerous or is it tolerable and just annoying.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Usually more annoying then dangerous it is typically just where your car stores fuel vapors but if the tank gets over filled then gasoline the fluid not vapor could fill it up.

First if you are reving up the car and dropping the clutch then redlining and shifting out to the next gear. You will notice the tires like to spin. And since this is an open diff tire with least grip will spin until traction is achieved causing the car to go from side to side as you describe. If you experience this and the car is shaking you to bits the you are experience some mega wheel hop. And wheel hop is a transmission killer. Either tone down the driving style or upgrade your ride. If none of the above applies and your are not dropping the clutch and shifting under 4000 rpm then see below.

Regardless of FWD OR RWD you can have the same problem you describe. I would inspect my brakes and suspension. to check have e-brake engaged car not in gear. lift front of car up spin wheels with hand. They should spin with out too much resistance both sides should spin fairly equally. Lower one side of front. Hold tire on other side with one hand on top of and one hand on bottom of tire try to push and pull the tire in or out. no movement good. then same thing but side to side (slight movement hear is ok, very slight) then hands at 3 and 9 oclock on the tire same thing. should be no movement other then described above. check other tire the same way. then lower and repeat on back side. Anything out of the ordinary would suggest a problem that needs serviced immediately given your original post.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

In response to your alignment question, it sounds like you have alignment issues between the front and rear tires. Check the Toe settings on all 4 wheels.

When you are on the throttle the car shifts it's weight to the rear tires. If you are driving straight down a flat road with your foot in the throttle and your rear toe alignment is straight on both wheels then your car will drive straight just like it was a RWD vehicle.

Now in your situation, if one of your rear wheels is toed out then that would most likely cause your car to pull to that side under heavy acceleration and once you get off the throttle and the vehicle transfers the weight back to the front wheels that might be toed out in the other direction then you would get that sensation of your vehicle pulling in opposite directions under full/no throttle. Your car probably drives straight under light acceleration too.