Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Megasquirt help

Old 03-05-2011, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon RD
Default Megasquirt help

Hi there

Can anyone inform me about the Megasquirt standalone ECU from kfxperformance.. want to get one for my 97 tib.

1. The "stage 2" with bigger MAP.. is this only necessary for turbo applications? Or is it "better" for N/A cars also?

2. How is it with emmision controls.. is it any problem to just unplug the MS before showing the car? .. or does the MS f*ck up the original ECU?

In advance, thanks for all replies

Regards from Norway.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

koreancorvette01

^^The only guy i know that is successfully running one that is still active on the board. Send him a PM if he doesn't chime in.

He seems pretty knowledgeable about the product.

I don't know how emissions are in Norway (ie: if they use a sniffer or connect to the obd port) but you do lose your OBD2 as its a standalone and in the states (certain states) it will not pass.

Is your car is MAP based already? I know some Euro-spec beta's are. The bigger MAP in the kit is just to allow for more boost. Im pretty sure its a GM 3bar. So unless you running a turbo, there's no need for the sensor as the stock one will suffice.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks for answering!

Emission controls in Norway is done every two years, together with the check of the vehicles EU-standars. I'm pretty sure they use a CO2 sniffer.

And yes, my car is allready MAP based
Old 03-05-2011, 01:06 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Hyundai Tiburon

if you swap back the ecu before being check you will be fine.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Turbo

Well to answer your questions first off- Im running the basic 2.5 bar map sensor and have gotten close to pegging it around 20psi on my car at an elevation of 3500ft. So unless your gonna run insane amounts of boost , youll be ok with the basic. Especially at lower elevations. As far as emissions go here in the states in Montana we dont have smog tests done so i dont have to worry about it on my car, but you could still put the factory ecu in to pass however youll have to put just about everything back to stock in order for your emissions to be clean and clear. I love my MS and had to wait a while to get it but car runs like a dream and as far as I know Im making the most power on stock internals which without the tunablity of MS couldn't have been done. The only other advise I could give you is to look at a AEM FIC. It works in-line with the factory computer and still allows you to adjust timing and control fuel, and is aparently more emissions friendly. There are a handful of guys running the FIC that can explain emissions passing better then I can.However if you go MS I can send you my tune and you can use it as a starting point, which yielded my 12.7@112.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:25 AM

Thanks for answering!

So, I'm not gonna go turbo in anywhere near.. for now I need the MS to tune my engine with a new set of cams.

If I buy the Stage1+, wich is "plug and play".. where do I place it? The original ECU is placed behinde the

pedals, right? Don't need to install anything else than a vacum hose from the manifold to the MS?

I understand that the MS comes with parameters that makes me able to start the first time.. where do I go from here?

It also comes with software, pc-cables and everything I need, right? Any guides/manuals following?

If anyone got parameters for N/A with for example colt cams, I woud appreciate to see them
Old 03-06-2011, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

amazing how much money people dump in NA for no damn gain

just simply amazing
Old 03-06-2011, 01:10 PM

Well, at least I got a good reason.. turbo rebuildt cars is illegal in Norway (a engine rebuild/swap shall not result in a engine that delivers more hp than the biggest engine that car model came with from factory).

However.. no one will notice a cam swap, in contrast to a turbo build. And a MS is not really that expensive compared to simular products in Norway...

And yes, it sucks watching you guys go way off with turbo builds .. If the regulations in Norway where different, turbo would offcorse be the way to roll!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

^ Just tell them its the factory 2.0 Turbo from the Genesis. Problem solved
Old 03-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon Turbo

I believe that Kfx is using one of my early tunes which for your car will be off in the setting due to the fact you have factory injectors still. The engine constants will have to be changed to be set for your car. You will get a plug and play ecu with a 3 ft. lead to the Ms ecu . Ill try and post a pic of where mine is located. I had them make a custom harness that was about 8ft long so I could mount the MS on the passenger side of the center console. Email Bill Hurlin and see if they can accomodate you . The basic pre assemblied kit will work for you. I will recommend you get a Wide band O2 sensor kit like this one here --->Cheapest full setup click here. You'll need to get a pillar gauge pod or use a heater vent to mount it. That kit comes with the exhaust bung also to weld to the exhaust PRE-CAT. If you need any more help the guy to talk to for NA power on the MS is WARP21 he has the fastest NA beta I know of and its running the MS. He can start you out alot closer since he is NA. He is on the boards also. Good Luck