Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

I Blew Up My Freakin' Intake!

Old 05-19-2007, 08:57 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

So I was playing around with my nitrous at a car show today....

This dude was interested. I had the car off, so I shot some nitrous into my intake. I did a 5 seccond burst while I was talking to him. About 2 minutes later my buddy tells me that my battery level is at 11.8V (we try to keep it at 11.9 or higher), so i turn on my car. Just for shits and giggles, i revved my engine high. My nitrous switch was still on. I hit about 5K RPM..

BOOM!!! I look over at my laptop and it's showing MAF at 100+ GPM. There's a bunch of smoke litterally ROLLING out of my engine bay. No codes are thrown though. I turned off my car and looked at the engine. I wasn't too scared because I had all my tools there.

It scared the hell out of the people who were in front of my car. My car drew a croud pretty quickly! I had Jay-M's OBD-II scaner gauges going and I heard someone say "Danger to manifold". lmao.gif

Every single one of my silicone couplers were separated. 5 different places I had to put the silicone couplers back. I noticed the diffuser shroud of my MAF on the ground. I fixed everything, cleaned off my MAF and IAT with electronics cleaner and it running in about 5 mintues. After the repair the car ran fine except a MAF sensor high CEL. No real idle issues or anything.

I was talking to another friend of mine who has that nice M3 from the nitrous DIY whom i've seen at other shows, She was about 100 meters away at the time and she said "That was you?1?!". Probly all 600 people there heard that backfire. It was LOUD.

I drove about 90 miles back home and went to Advanced. They didn't have a Hyundai Tiburon MAF in the store, it would take 3 days and cost $177. I requested to go through all the boxes and they let me....

About 2 hours later I found what looked to be an exact match for our MAF, but it was branded KIA instead. I purchased it. The actual MAF sensor has the same part number as ours. It is the same for all intensive purposes except one of the supports inside is metal (some sort of update) and the KIA branding on the outside. It also only cost $82.96.

So, guys, if you NEED a MAF sensor look up a KIA Sportage 2.0L 1998. They use the same MAF sensor as us, but they're newer and cost about $100 less.

I'm just supprised that this engine can take so much abuse and still be fine. Everything is good, just had a really loud boom. BETA POWER!!!
Old 05-19-2007, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

dang man, I got a extra MAF. I even have it posted in the For Sale section. And I think I'm asking like $35 for it or something, LOL.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:30 PM
DTN

^^ that would have been great if you were here. Like I told the guy at Advanced, I don't want to wait for "E-Bay time". That takes too long. I needed a part. I got mine in 2 hours and saved alot of money on a new MAF.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:42 PM

hahaha danger to manifold!

and good info on the maf. and im glad to hear nothing bad happened
Old 05-19-2007, 10:02 PM

PICS???
Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 PM
DTN

^^ none from today and I'm not taking it back apart so you can see what it looked like. it looked like this, but cleaner and no water, and durring the day.

There was no damage or clouding on anything. You couldn't even tell it happened after 5 minutes of work. It was just very supprising.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:26 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Patreezy @ May 19 2007, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>dang man, I got a extra MAF. I even have it posted in the For Sale section. And I think I'm asking like $35 for it or something, LOL.</div>

... You were going to give it to me.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:20 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

thats exactaly why i dont mess with nitruous kits.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:26 AM

nx backfire, allways fun. my friend did that to his 626 being stupid. it actually seperated his cone filter...
Old 05-20-2007, 10:33 AM
DTN

^^ ZEX backfire nana.gif