Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

How To Get 33 Mpgs. My Answer Inside.

Old 07-13-2005, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

strange, when I'm cruising at 35 mph in 5-th gear I got worse mpg.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Are you talking to me?

If so, yea, I know. I have a wideband and it reads 20:1+++ (lean) when I let off the throttle while in gear. You'll even see it on a cheap a/f gauge.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:10 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

You both are right rallyman and MadMachine.

I should have worded myself better. There are three tanks underground...but there is No 89 octane underground tank. Just two tanks for 87 and one for premium, like rallyman said, the majority of gas bought is 87 octane.

At least that's the way it is at every Chevron Nationwide, I would assume every gas station as well (otherwise other gas companies woudl have to hire a third semi-gas tanker with 89 octane, waste of money....)

Tip to save gas:
Try not to start and turn-off your car repeatedly or lots of times in one day. Waslk to the store that's a 2 mi. drive away instead.

Question:
My car takes a long time to start sometimes at night and cold mornings, (not super long, just longer than normal) and I was wondering how to fix? and if it affects my engine?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:30 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jul 13 2005, 12:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Another Myth Busted by Myth Busters</div>

They didn't bust crap, that was the most idiotic test I have yet to see by that pair of sexually confused dolts.

We don't know if the cars were identical to start. Even if they reset the ECUs, there could be (and probably was) a substantial, measurable difference in fuel economy between two different used cars of the same model. Even right off the factory line cars can easily vary in fuel economy by several mpg, as how the engines are maintained, tire pressure, alignment all make a difference.

Second, they were only doing what, 45mph? Try the more common 65mph+ highway speed instead.

Finally, on the car tested with AC, they had it on max, and it was so cold inside that the guy driving had to wear a heavy coat! WTF. No one uses the AC like that. Of course that's going to be inefficient.

Try it on low, and drive on the highway for a full tank of gas, and then using the same car, do it again with the AC off and the windows down. Then you may get some accurate results.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jul 13 2005, 12:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>As for the belt always spinning the compressor.. again, wrong. The clutch on the compressor only allows the pulley to spin, it does not engage the shaft that spins the compressor.</div>

Duh.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:35 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fonseca @ Jul 13 2005, 06:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>They didn't bust crap, that was the most idiotic test I have yet to see by that pair of sexually confused dolts.

We don't know if the cars were identical to start. Even if they reset the ECUs, there could be (and probably was) a substantial, measurable difference in fuel economy between two different used cars of the same model. Even right off the factory line cars can easily vary in fuel economy by several mpg, as how the engines are maintained, tire pressure, alignment all make a difference.

Second, they were only doing what, 45mph? Try the more common 65mph+ highway speed instead.

Finally, on the car tested with AC, they had it on max, and it was so cold inside that the guy driving had to wear a heavy coat! WTF. No one uses the AC like that. Of course that's going to be inefficient.

Try it on low, and drive on the highway for a full tank of gas, and then using the same car, do it again with the AC off and the windows down. Then you may get some accurate results.
Duh.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

LMAO ROFL HAHAHAHAHAHA!

OMFG, extremely well put. I hate those two idiots...

Myth Busters got owned.gif
Old 07-13-2005, 01:04 PM

well, I agree that they should have used the same SUV and at a higher speed.. but I can tell you this.. I can tell by my miliage whenever I used my air for any amount of time, I am lucky to clear 300 to a tank. Without the air, I can usually get very close to 400.

And honestly, when the compressor is engaged, it is engaged. It does not matter if it is on max of mearly putting out barely cool air. All your car does to warm up the air coming from the air is add some warm air from the heater.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Patreezy @ Jul 13 2005, 01:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>INTERESTING FACT:

You know there are tanks under gas stations that hold different octances of gasoline.

But did you know there are only TWO tanks and THREE choices of octane??

There is only low and hi-grade tanks under ground, when you select 89 (medium octance) you are actually getting an equal amount of premium and regular-unleaded gasonline (50-50 split).

So next time the prices are swayed a little bit and not exactly .10 apart, it might be cheaper to just go with the hi-grade (don't see why tho, 87 octance works fine for our cars NA).

dude, thats not true. I work in the same office as a mechanical engineer who specializes in setting up the gas distribution stations (where the tanker trucks pick up gas at) and gas stations. Most refineries only make 2 types of gas, 87 and 93. But they are mixed at the distribution stations. those tanker trucks have multiple tanks in them and can haul all three types to the gas stations. (or in some cases like sunoco all 5 types, you guessed it, trucks with 5 tanks)

btw, on a side note 87 has diesel, kerosene, etc. in it. 89 does too cause it's a mix of 87 and 93. 93 and above are the only ones that are pure gas. smile.gif
Old 07-13-2005, 03:54 PM

like I said, I dont' know about all gas stations nationwide but Chevrons do have only 87 tanks and 93 tanks underground.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:55 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fonseca @ Jul 13 2005, 09:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Finally, on the car tested with AC, they had it on max, and it was so cold inside that the guy driving had to wear a heavy coat! WTF. No one uses the AC like that. Of course that's going to be inefficient.

Like Mad-Machine said, you can turn AC only ON and OFF. It doesn't matter how much heat you would add. Only one thing can influence fuel consumption here - speed of the blower (higher speed - more power needed from the alternator = from engine). But I belive there is not much difference.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:52 AM

You're right. The Compressor can only be on or off BUT raising your thermostat temperature setting inside the car would mean the compressor cuts out more often, giving you better efficiency.

I usually leave my windows 80% up and drive at 55. Its a balanced compromise. Im not getting too much wind drag with the windows just 4 inches down and I dont pass out in the heat (at those speeds, the breeze is quite nice), all without using the AC.

I also keep my tire pressure at around 3 psi less than the maximum recommended pressure of the tires.

It all adds up.

Can't wait to see if the pulleys will yield better results.