Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Hissing a/c

Old 07-22-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon
Default Hissing a/c

I turned my a/c on this morning in the car and its been giving a loud hissing sound through the vents. This is the first time its ever done that and I had my a/c recharged the end of last summer. I havent used it much this year other than maybe a handful of times. This is the first time it started to hiss. Anyone know what could be causing it? I also noticed that the a/c isnt as cold.
Old 07-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1991 Impulse RS

if the a/c isn't working/cooling that hiss your hearing could be the leak. When your system was recharged did the shop repair a leak? Or just recharge the system? Sometimes gaskets or o-rings in the system can leak, especially when there is a large swing in temperature outside, the gasket will expand and contract causing a small leak to become a large leak. (I hope that makes sense!) Some auto parts stores are selling a leak seal and recharge kit for like $50. It might be worth a shot. I haven't used the product myself but maybe someone who has can post their comments/results.

This is the stuff here:

http://www.redtek.ca/products_refr.html

Old 07-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Could also be a leaking heater core? How is your coolant level?