Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Help...Grinding Second Gear

Old 05-19-2002, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Grinding Second Gear

I have a 2001 Tiburon that is a little over a year old and was just given to me by my parents. Anyway ..until about 2 weeks ago, the shifting of my gears has been completely fine, but the other night I was cruising with some friends, and every single time I would try to go to second gear it would grind like crazy and it does this everytime I try to race, or shift quickly, although it doesnt happen when im driving slow....has anyone else had this problem? Any easy solutions? Also if this is a more serious problem, is it covered under warranty?
Old 05-19-2002, 07:40 AM

take it to the shop your trany is bad it happend to me but it was 3rd gear its a 5 hr job to have it fixed
Old 05-19-2002, 07:42 AM

Is that all covered under warranty though?
Old 05-19-2002, 11:28 AM

yes it is i got a new one for free
Old 05-20-2002, 11:17 AM

It is supposed to be covered under warranty but if you have any work done to your car or your flywheel has heat/scorch marks they will blame you on hard use/racing and charge you. Since they already had the car apart you will have to pay for the work they already did. This has happened to alot of Tib people. Your dealership may not be pricks but alot of them are.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:51 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>MyLilTibby2001:
every single time I would try to go to second gear it would grind like crazy and it does this everytime I try to race, or shift quickly, although it doesnt happen when im driving slow....has anyone else had this problem? Any easy solutions? Also if this is a more serious problem, is it covered under warranty?</div>Hey man, i have a '97 Tib 5-speed and had you're exact problem.

YOU NEED TO REBUILD IT ASAP!!!

What's happening here is your 2nd gear synchro is not doing it's job. It dosen't grind going slow becuase the synchros on the shafts that are spining are moving slow enough to work. As soon as you kick the rpms up and try to shift, even granny shift, it'll grind.

I expected mine to go out with the amount of mileage i had. I ended up getting a Clutch Masters Stage 1 put in also since half my drivetrain was out already. It might cost you some $$$$ if it's not covered but it's like guarenteeing a trouble free tranny for another 100k. I did it 'cuase i plan on keeping my tib till it drops on all axels.

I got these things replaced...
*Clutch Master Cyl.
*Slave cylinder
*All new sychros
*new bearings
*new 2nd Gear
*new reverse gea
*new 10.3 Trigigalithium-ion final drive ratio(okay maybe not)

Rich.