Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Exhaust Rattle

Old 06-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default Exhaust Rattle

I have a 1999 Hyundai Coupe/Tib and was wondering if there was any kind of fix for a rattle in my exhaust. Its not my heat shield, the sound is actually coming from a certain part of the pipe before the muffler. Just wanted to get an opinion on whether this is fixable by a mechanic or should I be planning on a new one. If a new one is in order does anyone know any good websites that sell good aftermarket exhaust systems for my 99 tib.

Thanks for your time!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

The noise is either;

-A loose bolt/mount/hangar that can easily be repaired by locating the problem area and tightening..

-A vibration of the exhaust piping against something fixed underneath the vehicle which can be fixed by rerouting or resecuring the exhaust system.

-An exhaust leak, meaning exhaust air is exiting the pipes somewhere underneath the car before the muffler due to a rusty hole, or bad weld, etc. This can be repaired by locating the leak and sealing.

Any exhaust shop should be able to fix your issue within the same day for under $100.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 AM

Vehicle: 1997 hyundai coupe

i'm having the same problem right now. i think my brackets came of or something. anyway, gonna have it fixed and probably get new pipes and a muffler while at it
Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 AM

Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/Tiburon

Thanks for the input..

Thinking of replacing my pipes and muffler with a pacesetter monza exhaust system (anyone know if this is good?)

Also I forgot to add that the rattle only happens when the engine reaches operational temp. and does it when accelerating from 1st 2nd and 3rd gear only. once I get to 4th and 5th it gets quiet again.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The pacesetter was one of the lowest quality exhausts I've ever seen

They must've used 22 gauge mild steel it was so thin and untreated I felt I might make it rust just breathing on it