Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car Surges very Bad when I floor it, Jerks my head back an forth, No Code's being thrown

Old 10-06-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Hyundai Elantra / 97 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Car Surges very Bad when I floor it, Jerks my head back an forth, No Code's being thrown

Okay, So I just bought a 1997 Hyundai Tiburon, an what a mess it is. The car has allot of newer parts on it, so thats good I guess. Well when I drive the car normal, Just giving it normal Peddle it drives fine, Now if I floor it an want to Accelerate fast it will do so till it hits about 4000RPMs or so, then all of a sudden it will completely lose power an I will be throw forward an backward until I let of the gas an just ease on it. Now I did a inspection to make sure all the wire's are hooked up an made sure each sensor was hooked up, an they all seem to be fine. So with this being said, I'm completely lost, Its very upsetting its doing this, Because when I first bought the car, just a few days ago, it did nothing like this, Well it did act up, but now its different then before, I have reset the ECU 4 or 5 times, and no luck what so ever, The spark plugs are all burning very good, The wires are in great shape as well.
Now say if I shift the car threw the gears instead of flooring it while its in drive, The car seems to run better, but will still act up at the higher rpm's. Also there is a slight tapping sound coming from the head, sounds like intake side, could it be possible that the knock sensor is picking up the sound an causing the Engine to go into limp mode so it cant be damaged or something? Just a thought. OK so when I'm driving an I want to pick up speed an i give it gas an it down shifts it will only downshift for a second then it will shift back up, Even if I do have it floored, It shifts back an forth between gears an will not rev out at all, The car idles fine, it don't shut off or hesitate when I start it or drive pulling out slowly, I'm thinking maybe I might be able to get my digital camera an make a short movie on how the car shifts up an down, even when its floored, Now the kid I bought the car from said he switched out the TCM from a Elantra, would that matter? would it make the car run how it is or not, He also said that the car shifted better when he swapped out the TCM an installed a Elantra TCM. The car dos pull hard when it dos run right, But right now, it just don't want to go, its very frustrating, reason being my friend wants to race it to see what it runs, His Honda runs 15's in the quarter mile, he wants to see if my Tiburon will stay near him or not, Probably wont, But Ill try my best with it, But theres no horsing around if I cant fix the stupid car. Could a bad MAF sensor cause this problem, Reason being when I disconnect the MAF sensor the car dos nothing at all, Almost seems like ti don't effect the car at all, When you disconnect a MAF shouldn't it change the way the car idles or something, Because in my case, it don't do anything, If i leave the MAF sensor unplugged an drive the car, it still dos it, even when its plugged in. Also theres a small little black sensor that is normally connected to the Air Box lid, Not sure what its called, But would that effect the car at ll, if it was just sitting there, Not in-line with the Cold Air Intake? I was told it could be the transmission taking a crap on me, But wouldn't the car UN like crap all the time, Not just when I floor it, meaning I push the gas peddle to the floor. Also the car is a Automatic, not for long tho, I already found a 5 speed trans, It even has a motor with it, I may just buy the motor an trans, Slap that all in, Then when I pull out the motor thats in the car, I'm going to rebuild it slightly for a Turbo Set-up, I want this Tiburon Boosted, an when income tax time comes, It shall be boosted, Anyways back to the subject, I have an exhaust I wanna put on the car, But i want to work out all the bugs before I go Modding it, I don't want it all Raced out looking, an It be slow because it wont rev out threw each gear. Like I said, If i mash the gas it downshifts, then all of a sudden it loses all power, then power comes back then loses it again, also while this is happing I'm being throw back an forth like I'm head bashing the steering wheel or something, its very sad to see the car run like this, because when it was running right, It pulled very good at like 4800RPM's, an pulled the whole way till like 7 grand or so.

If anyone has any idea on what this problem could be, Id be the happiest person Alive, Like I said, its not throwing any codes dealing with the motor, Just one code, Saying about a large Vacuum leak, E-vap System, Code is I believe p0255 or something like that, But I don't think that code would make this car run the way it is right now. Thanks Guys for reading, I hope someone knows what this problem could be.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:57 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

get us the actual code

p0255 is Injector Pump 1 Rotor/Cam Intermittent

that and separating sh*t into paragraphs would be nice also
Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Dont waste your time racing a honda. Especially with an automatic you will loose. piss.gif
I know you said you checked your wires but I had a very similar problem and it ended up being my wires even though they looked fine.
There is a ghetto way to test your wires at night with some water.. but I wont get into that.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing that is supposed to be in the air box is the intake air temp. sensor. Drill a hole somewhere in the intake and jam it in there.

If the MAFS being disconnected doesn't make it run worse, the MAFS is bad.

The TCM could be the wrong one.

One of the members here has a manual swap kit for sale, you might look into that.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

This happend to me after installing turbo with stock injectors and pump lol, so maybe it might be something to do with pump or injectors?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MAFS and IATS are both part of the fueling system
Old 10-07-2010, 09:02 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Hyundai/Tiburon

How many miles on car? I would bet injectors are not opening fully. Could be the pump but injectors are easier to start with.

I've heard of similar problems on non hyundais and the problem was the EGR vavle. But I have never heard anybody in our community complain about that so I would put that pretty low on the scale. I think that is more of a Ford V6 type issue.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Things that came to mind were:

- the TCM - I'm guessing the car's getting confused at ~4k RPM and not knowing whether to change gears or not (so it probably cycles through changing between a 3rd and a 4th, which translates to the jerking motion you're feeling).

- You mentioned "large vacuum leak". You still have that code? Did you check for vac leaks?

- You said you just got the car. When you cycle the key in the ignition between off and on, does the "Check Engine light" illuminate momentarily and then go off? Just trying to make sure the light bulb for the CEL is in the cluster and stuff. Or you could just try to read codes any way.

- As for the MAFS, there's no secret here! When people say that the MAFS is bad, what that means is that it's not reading/metering the air intake properly. That's all it means. So if you have data-logging capabilities, hook up your reader and have someone with you holding your computer. Get the car to jerk like it does, and ask the person to read what the metered airflow is. It should probably be something like 11-15g/s (1.1 - 2lbs/min). If your MAFS really is bad, I'd say it would be under-reading the airflow, causing less fuel to be pumped. But you'd get a CEL, and it wouldn't just happen at 4k RPM.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 PM

Well from what I hear from a friend is that its the Transmission, But It shifts Okay it seems to me when I'm just giving it a small amount of throttle. Now when I floor it from a dead stop it rev's to about 3 or 4 Grand then Jerks me back an forth very badly, Almost like the car is getting a fuel cut or spark cut, But like I said, there is no codes being throw, Just for a vacuum leak dealing with the fuel tank or something.

Also if I keep it floored the whole time an do not let off, I get this very bad smell, its a smell I have never smelled be for, I had a 96 Hyundai Accent do a similar thing be for, an I found out it was the coil, Right under neath the coil are small wires crossing back an forth, Well at night one night, I noticed sparks flying around under the coil, I swapped it out, an the problem went away, Now I have a coil from a 1.5L Hyundai, Are they even close to the 2.0L, If they are, I was thinking about swapping it out an seeing if it is the problem.

Also do you think I could use my camera which has a Video recorder on it, Use it an record what problem I'm having? I'm not sure if it would work very well tho, Being it Jerks me so badly, That the person holding the camera wouldn't be able to hold it anywhere near the TACH to show how the RPM's are acting when the problem occurs. Id really hate to go all out an start replacing sensor's just to find out it was the Tran's the whole time. Tomorrow I'm going to the J-Yard an looking for a Beta 2 with MAF an swapping out the motor before Winter, I'm going boosted in a few months, I'm looking forward to that, Indeed I am. I just hate not being able to get on the highway with the car, Because when I do, It gos crazy an shifts back an forth from gear to gear an wont REV out at all, its very hard to explain how its happening, I have never had a car do this to me in my life.

Seeing thats the car is an Auto, I also decided that it would be best for me to swap that with a 5 speed Tranny instead when I do the Beta 2 Swap, There are a few Elantra's at the J-yard, Most of them are complete, Ill just have to peace it all together from each car, I'm just worried he will charge me an arm an leg for all the parts, I was thinking about buying a crappy car, an giving the j-yard the car for all the parts needed for my Beta 2 swap an 5 speed tranny,

Who's the Guy who has the Swap parts for the 5 speed's? Thanks Guys for your help, If anyone lives close to me an would like to meet me so I can show them the problem with the car, Id be so happy, I called the dealership an they said it could be a month or two before they could see me, An that it would range from 160 to 400bucks to fix whatever problem it may be, Heck for that price I can get a Motor an Tranny for the Dang car. LOL
Old 10-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Okay so I messed around with the car, reset the Edu, an shabam it ran fine, but only if I shift it manually, if I put it in drive an floor it, it gets confused an shifts back an forth, but if I shift it threw the gears myself it seems to run fine for alittle while when I'm beating on it, but then if I drive it normal for awhile, then try getting back on it, it dos the jerking my head back an forth thing. Now the car runs fine somedays an other days it runs like complete crap.

I called the junk yard an they have a few elantras an tibs with the Beta 2 motors in them, I've decited to do a motor swap as soon as possible, it's kinda of a shame seeing that the motor I do have runs real strong when it dos run right, it needs valve lashes as of right now tho, can't seem to find a good valve lash kit, but don't think I'm going to bother anyways seeing it's an Automatic trans an all.

I'm ganna do a fuel filter change an check the injectors tomorrow, I don't think it's either, I think it's a sensor, because the motor runs fine sometimes, then other times it jerks me back an forth so bad it gives me whip lash, lol