Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

A/c Condenser Problems?

Old 11-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I have no a/c.

I thought maybe it just needed a charge, but I tried using my front defrost the other night and it didn't work either. When I hit the A/C button, the fan kicks on so the connection should be good to the button.

How do I go about checking the a/c condenser to make sure it's working? Is there a fuse or wiring I could look at? Not sure if it's worked since I swapped the transmission; we did it last winter and I didn't try to use the a/c until September when I found out it didn't work. Could I have hit something or miswired the ECU?
Old 11-27-2007, 07:11 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok heres what you can check:
For the A/C control circuits, engine bay fuse box:
fuse 2 red 10A a/c
blower relay
A/c switch

Tested by pushing the A/C button. If the light lights up, they are good

A/C pressure switch, located somewhere along the a/c lines- turns off if you have less then 29PSI of pressure in the a/c lines. It is possible you had an AC leak.

ECU pin64 = a/c on/off test with multimeter and it should go on and off when you push the ac on button
ECU Pin65= ac pressure switch
From what I'm reading, the a/c compressor should turn on if you short those two pins to batt voltage.

For the actual compressor circuits in the engine bay:
fusable link E, pink
a/c fuse 1
a/c relay
A/c compressor

Theres a connector on the a/c which may be disconnected

sorry about the messed up order. check fuses first. Try other things later. Your A/C clutch sounds like it's not engauging.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Administrator

I didn't mess with those pins on the ECU.

I'll check fuses and relays, just haven't yet. Didn't see a reason why they would have failed.

Button light does illuminate. Fan kicks on when button is pushed. Air blows, just doesn't get cold and front defrost doesn't work.

How do I recharge the A/C? If that's the problem, would it effect the defrost as well? I guess it would...
Old 11-27-2007, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Sounds like you just need a recharge. The defrost is directly related to the A/C, if the A/C doesn't work, neither does the defrost (defrost simply turns on the A/C and pushes the air out of the windshield vents).
Go to Auto Zone and get their recharge kit (costs around $15 or so (one time cost), plus the can costs about $5 every time you want to charge.) It's really quite easy to do, and way cheaper than having someone else do it.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Administrator

yeah, I definitely want to learn how to do it myself. Can't be hard, just need someone to show me.

Maybe I can find a somewhat informed person at AutoZone who could show me. All it takes it one time.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:03 PM

the hard part will be finding that informed person at Autozone