Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

burning or leaking oil?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib
Default burning or leaking oil?

about every 1500 miles i hear my valves start ticking, check my oil and almost always have to add about a quart. i've never noticed any strange exhaust smoke or odd smells. is my car burning oil or is it leaking oil? both? what do i do? how bad is it it to lose that much in that amount of time? how bad is it to drive 1 quart low? it's never gotten low enough where the low oil light turns on.

i run valvoline fully synthetic 10w30 all year round. i can't remember when this started happening, i remember having to add oil and hearing ticking in the past as well (years), but for the past 4 year (in college) i rarely drove my car (maybe 400 miles a month) but now that i've moved and i drive around 400 miles a week i have been noticing it a lot more. could it have anything to do with switching oils (switched to synthetic a few years ago)? or could i benefit from a different viscosity?

thanks!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

If there is no oil under your car it sounds like your burning oil. Either valve stems or piston rings.

Unless your getting smoke out of your exhaust when you drive, I wouldn't worry about it. You can try running a heavier oil at operating temp such as a 5w-40. You don't need synthetic if you change your oil at 3-4k miles. A lot of people are also under the impression that since they live in a warm climate they can run 10w. Fact of the matter is 90% of the wear on any motor is the first 5-10 minutes after start up. You could live in the nevada dessert and still not have lubrication you need at start up with 10w. I always run 0w or 5w as its the thinnest weight on start up, and that viscosity is still not thin enough since its measured at 100F oil temp not outside temp as most people think.

Anyhow, you can do a leak down test to see where you've got leaking issue but if its your oil rings, it'll be hard to pinpoint.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'd say compression and leakdown tests both.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:30 PM

A compression test isn't necessary if your going to do a leak down test. The leakdown test is more thorough, all a compression test tells you is that you have a problem somewhere.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

But a compression test requires exactly two hand tools you can use in a parking lot, and a squirt of oil in the cylinder can tell you rings vs. top-end. I go there first, then a leakdown test if indicated, just b/c it's less hassle (for me).
Old 10-09-2010, 02:01 AM

Sure it's a tad easier to do a compression test, but a leak down tester is just as easy all you need is an air supply. I can leak down all 4 cylinders in 15 minutes, from start to finish.

Also, a squirt of oil doesn't tell you oil rings, it tells you compression rings. Burning oil would pass past the oil seals. He can still get 180-210 psi on all cylinders and still have bad oil sealing rings. Valves stem won't show up on a compression test either, you need load unless they are really damaged/worn.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Try watching through your rear view mirror every time you step on it to see if your smoking a little.

Also check your PCV system. You could be sucking it that.