Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Battery And E-brake Lights

Old 11-15-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty, first off, I searched. Another member had this problem, but nobody posted any info other than it might be short in the wiring. Plus, that post was 2 years old, and somebody might have newer information.

Anyways, I went out this mornng and started my car, didn't bother to look at the gauges. Went back inside and waited for my car to warm up. Went back out about 15 mintues later and noticed my battery and e-brake indicator lights were on. I've been having some squeeky belt problems and i couldn't figure out what belt it was, but i thought it was the powersteering pump belt because it would squeel more when i turn the wheel all the way to the stops. But now I think it might have been the alternator belt.

However, nothing seems to be low on electricity and the car runs fine. Plus that doesn't explain the e-brake light. So, does anybody have a clue as to what might be wrong? I couldn't find anything on Webtech and I might be going on a fairly long trip this weekend and I need the Tibby to be running smooth.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:11 PM

power steering, alternator are the same belt, if the battery light was on, it is an indication that you alternator is going bad.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:23 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

power steering has it's own belt.

alternator and water pump use 1 belt.

Check voltage on the battery when engine is on, then check voltage with higher RPM (3000-4000).
Check brake fluid level.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:46 AM

when that happened to me in my tib, it was my alternator.... dont try to go too far because you car is probably running off of its battery
Old 11-18-2006, 07:49 PM

I think my alternator belt was just slipping or something. After my last post I noticed that the engine sounded "different." Not bad, just different. But yesterday I pulled into a parking lot and about 2 seconds after I put it in park, the lights went off and the engine noise went back to normal. Very strange.

Anyways, it's been running fine since then, and everything appears to be normal. I haven't checked the voltage yet (my voltmeter decided to crap out on me), but I know all the belts need replaced. If the problem oocurs again, I'll be sure to take it in to a dealership that I trust and get it checked out. Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll keep an eye on the alternator.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:28 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

maybe you have a short somewhere?