Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Aussie FX Coupe/Tiburon - I need info pleeeease

Old 12-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999/Hyundai/FX Coupe(Triburon)
Default Aussie FX Coupe/Tiburon - I need info pleeeease

I just took ownership of this little beast and aim to run it in local Street Sprint (closed road time trial) competition for fun.

I have until May 2012 to prep her. Sports exhaust and cold air intake already fitted, which is a bonus but I to take the head off to change the gasket and have it shaved.

I would love to get hold of a free service manual/ workshop manual in PDF format if possible.

To be honest I don't know a lot about these cars I haven't even been able to positively identify the engine specs.

I will roll her into the shed today to start the work required. With my laptop open to this forum and spanner in hand, I am sure to succeed. LMAO.

Anyway, if anyone can offer up any info I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

aussiedeuce

100_2430.JPG

here are latest pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aussiedeuce/

p.s. What is a beta or beta2?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Beta is the engine that came in your car. They switched to solid valve shims (from Hydraulic) and some other changes, and we call this Beta II.

The manuals are online, free. And discussed just today: the place to find them! https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...to-use-webtech
Old 12-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Nice looking FX.

If you plan on doing some road racing, you will def want to upgrade the brakes and suspensuin.

Brakes:

Good pads, good rotors, SS brake lines, new fluid

Suspension:

Good spring & strut combo or coil overs, strut bars, sway bars, center floor bar, etc..

Good luck, welcome to the forum and the world of Hyundai, and dont be afraid to ask any questions.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Glad to have more aussie owners welcome!
Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

As far as preparing the car for the track goes, you will almost definitely need good brake pads and better tyres. If you don't do anything else, do them. A got set of DOT rated semi slicks might set you back a few hundred, just use them with your stock wheels. Stock brake pads will probably catch fire within a few laps, so new pads and fluid is a great idea.

Other than that, I'd actually race the car before spending too much money on setup. That way you can identify areas that are lacking and upgrade them, rather than taking a stab in the dark.

AUDM represent brah, you should also check out hyper Australia if you get the chance. Its the only Australian Hyundai club afaik, where are you from?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Thanks for your replies and welcomes. You all said what I was thinking, re doing brakes, tyres, etc. And you are right, Wheels_Of_Steel, I am looking at a good clean up, a weight loss diet, and a few essentials to purchase before the meet. I am keen to learn just how well she goes in stock(ish) trim. (I live near Oakey, QLD)

I have been looking at strut braces and am pretty sure I can knock up a set that is at least as good as whats on offer in the market place. Unsure what you mean by center floor bar, though Visionz. Are you talking about bracing across the floor about mid way between the front and back wheels? Like extra chassis bracing?

The street sprints are timed single lap runs from a standing start, so I am primarily racing myself especially when running naturally aspirated stock engine. search Oakey Street Sprints on YouTube for some lap videos - http://youtu.be/nTsPlpMaZXg http://youtu.be/g-dZkSsxxGQ to get an idea of what i am up against.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:57 PM

Can anyone tell me whether I have a 1.8 or 2.0litre engine in my FX or how I can distinguish between the two?
Old 12-24-2011, 06:40 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Strut braces/underbody braces are pretty useless dude. If your strut tops/underbody is flexing by even a millimetre under hard cornering, well, it must be a tremendously rusty car. The problem is that unless you hammer the strut brace down onto your strut tops, the minimal chassis flex that there is will just operate within the manufacturing tolerances of the bracket. Pretty sure the strut top nuts aren't meant for a huge amount of torque anyways.

/rant I swear...

I'm pretty sure you have the 2.0 in the FX. You can tell by grabbing the engine number though. What year is your tib?
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by wheel_of_steel
Strut braces/underbody braces are pretty useless dude. If your strut tops/underbody is flexing by even a millimetre under hard cornering, well, it must be a tremendously rusty car. The problem is that unless you hammer the strut brace down onto your strut tops, the minimal chassis flex that there is will just operate within the manufacturing tolerances of the bracket. Pretty sure the strut top nuts aren't meant for a huge amount of torque anyways.

/rant I swear...

I'm pretty sure you have the 2.0 in the FX. You can tell by grabbing the engine number though. What year is your tib?