Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Alternator removal/installation

Old 02-07-2005, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

I think you are right, bryce. I was talking with a mechanic at the parts store and he said generally 1/4 inch is what you want, 1/2 inch is pushing it, any thing more is too loose, thanks guys, I'm on a different computer now so i can finally see the webtech site. Very useful for finding ALL the bolts.

Do you know if this install can be done alone? I'm imagining it in my head for today after school and I don't have any help but won't I have to prop up the alternator while I loop the belt around it? Anyone know how heavy the alternator is? Someone told me I will need a crowbar to prop it in place...?
Old 02-07-2005, 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

to get the old one off you'll have to first take the oil filter out. then basically you remove the 2 bolts you can get to from the top, then jack up the car and remove the 3-5 bolts on the bottom, (one is a very long rod it swivels on, and another is a smaller bolt with a nut). when you take the big one out, you really have to pull to get that rod out--it has kind of square-ish looking end.
you should be able to figure it out, i have hardly any experience and i figured out how to remove/replace in under 2 hours--in the rain and no hydraulic jack (and my car has a bodykit so its really hard to get under there with only the stock jack holding it up, no jackstands either), my fingers were numb and it was dark..it sucked.

yes it can be done after school with little time, by 1 person.

you won't need a crowbar, on our tibs you can adjust the tension with a screwdriver from the top, just tighten it as tight as you can get it.

i would guess an alternator weighs about 15lbs?

btw, why did you order a new one? you can get a rebuild for like $100 less.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:26 AM

I know, but I figured a brand new one with a lifetime warranty for 160.00 wasn't that bad of a trade. Besides they said they didn't have any rebuilds. Nobody carries Hyundai parts out here. Luckily my dad agreed to pay for it, surprisingly.
Thanks for your help, yeah it look slike it's going to rain today, might have to wait until tomorrow....I'll have a bettery charger then as well.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:50 PM

I'm double posting in my thread to thank those who helped me/update!
Warn me if you must! 02.gif

Thanks guys, I got the alternator in on Tuesday (found a place that would order it and it got there in less than 24 hrs.!) I got it home and took my car to my friend's shop. He let me put the car up on a jack and use his air tools, made getting th emud gaurd off VERY easy instead of having to use my hand jack and squeeze under my car. I got all the bolts out, not hard to find, unhooked all the wiring and ripped her out. Put the new one in and I was set to go! I checked it w/ a volt meter and the battery too, everythign was fine. Although I asked my friend if I should charge battery to full before installing alternator but he said "No, isn't that a brand new battery?" I said yeah but I had been driving on it w/ the bad alternator so it wasnt at full charge. He said it should be fine (no battery charger around) and it seems fine. We checked the voltage of the alternator after install and it was fine. So, that's one problem down. Sorry I couldn't do a DIY for installing altenbator because I didn't have my digital camera w/ me at the shop....oh well, it's pretty easy with webtech and the right tools. Took me 30 minutes.

Plus if I take the caor back (the old alternator ) to the parts store I get 70.00 bucks back off the final price so (160.00-70.00 = the price of a new alternator!) Not bad in my books, I thought I'd be paying 150-200 dollars.
Thanks again.

If anyone ever needs help with installing or removing your alternator hit me up, I'm an expert now....haha. I'll tell ya everything you'll run into.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:06 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

There was a day between posts, it's cool.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

you wouldn't need to have a fully charged battery...get a jump to start it, then go drive it for like a half hour.
the alternator's job is to charge the battery, if you have a new alternator you only need enough battery to get it started once, then let the alt. charge it.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:14 AM

zoned
it would take a long time to kill a brand new battery just from trying to start the car. It would not have even needed a jump. I bet it started right up. no need to jump but definately leave it running for a while to charge the battery back up all the way.

Patreezy
Wish i had air tools when i did mine......