Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

AEM intake installation problem!

Old 06-25-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon
Default AEM intake installation problem!

I have a 2003 v6 tiburon, and i bought an AEM intake. when i took it to get installed it worked fine and now after about a year there is a check engine light on. the dealer said that the air mass flow sensor wire was stretched out to far. and when i drive the car will loose power and then kick back in. should i cut the air intake to make more slack for the sensor or should it already fit since it was made for my car?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Not 100% sure with the GK, but the AEM's are usually straight bolt on. Although I'm pretty sure the maf is not in the exact same position, but still no wires should have been stretched or extended.
Stupid question, but have you cleaned the filter since you've had it installed?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:57 AM

Vehicle: 05 hyundai tiburon se

i put an AEM on my 05 V6 and yes, the wires do get pretty tight. I was able to get some decent slack by opening up the harness wrap and rerouting the MAF wires. It's still a little tighter than I'd like but very much better than it was. I forget how I ran it but could take a look if you like.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:23 PM

Some of the Elantra owners modify tib intakes to fit their cars so I imagine you could do the same. A good Dremel tool and you can shorten the piping a little to help with the slack.. I think your problem is that the wires are fine during idle but when the motor revs it moves on the mounts which pulls the wires.