Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

1.8L intake cam is IN!

Old 01-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Borg-

Please edit your original posts by clicking on the button, rather than double posting.

The INTAKE cam off a 1996-1998 1.8L Elantra is good.
The INTAKE cam off a 2001-2 2.0L Elantra GT is better.

In North America at least...if you have a MAF sensor, your have the HLA equipped 2.OL If you have a MAP sensor, you have the Solid lifter design Motor.

Borg- As you have a 2000 Tiburon, you would want the 2001 Elantra GT INTAKE cam. Your dealership should be able to install it for you and retain your factory warranty. They may be jerks and refuse to do the work and refuse to honor your warranty though. If you were to do the swap yourself, or pay someone else to do it, your dealership would be none the wiser unless they actually took out a set of Calipers to your intake cam and measured it (not likley), so your warranty would be 100% intact. (in theory).

I do suggest you sound out your dealers service manager via phone first, and do NOT give your name. If he is cool with the mod, and you do not feel comfortable doing the swap yourself, book an appointment and order the cam from St Charles. If your Dealership refuses to do the work, you can paysomeone else to do it an hope you don't get caught...or drive a 100% stock car till your warranty expires. Your call.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey random, red,
are the 2001 and 2002 Elantra GT 2.0L intake cams the same? and being that i will be replacing the intake cam, should i also install the elantra gt exhaust cam as well?
thanks guys

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Börg ]
Old 01-25-2002, 02:33 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by Random:

The INTAKE cam off a 1996-1998 1.8L Elantra is good.
The INTAKE cam off a 2001-2 2.0L Elantra GT is better.
</div>

Look at Reds last post,... he stated that the older exhaust cam is better.

Now i have a question,... What about the beta 2003 tibby???
THEY MUST HAVE A NEW CAM IN THAT SUCKER. PLEASE TELL ME ITS NOT THE ELANTRA GT CAM.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:34 AM

I think the Elantra GT is considered a 2001.5.. You should be able to use ANY of the Elantra GT cams.. As for the Exhaust.. The cams are the same in the Tiburon and the Elantra GT, as far as the Exhaust.. No reason to chnage that one.. I am stareing at my GT cam right now.. I just have to build up the sack to rip her apart.. wink.gif Have fun!! It is Worth it from what I have heard!
Old 01-25-2002, 02:46 AM
Red

No, the Elantra GT exhaust cam is NOT the same as the 2000-previous exhaust cams.

The Elantra GT (indeed a 2001.5 model) uses the G4GD BETA engine; one of the major differences in the G4GD versus the older G4GF and G4GM BETA engines is the use of solid valve shims instead of hydraulic ifters in the cylinder head. With this valve hardware change also came two different camshafts.

Compared to the G4GD, the G4GF (older 2.0L) and G4GM (older 1.8L) have a less-aggressive intake cam. However, the newest G4GD engine has a much less aggressive exhaust cam.

If you have one of the older G4GF or G4GM engines, the intake cam from the newest G4GD engine is the best OEM intake cam you can install. You already have the best OEM exhast cam...

If you have one of the newer G4GD engines, you already have the best intake cam. However, the exhaust cam should be replaced with one from the older G4GF/G4GM engines for best OEM set.

In other words:

Best OEM intake cam: G4GD
Best OEM exhaust cam: G4GF/G4GM

G4GD (2.0L) Some 2001 Elantras and maybe Tiburons, all 2001.5 Elantra GT's

G4GF (2.0L) All 2000 and previous Elantras and Tiburons

G4GM (1.8L) Came in only 1998 and earlier Tiburons, I think it only came in 1998 and earlier Elantras too.

-Red-
Old 01-25-2002, 03:12 AM

Hey, Red or Random,

Do we know for sure whether or not the G4GF to G4GD head swap will work (to gain solid shims over HLAs)? Is it a definite direct match?
Old 01-25-2002, 03:34 AM
Red

I'm about 95% sure it's a direct match. That other 5% of uncertainty is potentially coolant vein placement, oil passage placement and cam-sprocket to crank-sprocket distance change if any.

I doubt they (Hyundai) has gone so far as to completely re-cast the block, so that why I'm 95% sure it would bolt right on.

-Red-
Old 01-25-2002, 03:49 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Originally posted by Red:
No, the Elantra GT exhaust cam is NOT the same as the 2000-previous exhaust cams.

The Elantra GT (indeed a 2001.5 model) uses the G4GD BETA engine; one of the major differences in the G4GD versus the older G4GF and G4GM BETA engines is the use of solid valve shims instead of hydraulic ifters in the cylinder head. With this valve hardware change also came two different camshafts.

Compared to the G4GD, the G4GF (older 2.0L) and G4GM (older 1.8L) have a less-aggressive intake cam. However, the newest G4GD engine has a much less aggressive exhaust cam.

If you have one of the older G4GF or G4GM engines, the intake cam from the newest G4GD engine is the best OEM intake cam you can install. You already have the best OEM exhast cam...

If you have one of the newer G4GD engines, you already have the best intake cam. However, the exhaust cam should be replaced with one from the older G4GF/G4GM engines for best OEM set.

In other words:

Best OEM intake cam: G4GD
Best OEM exhaust cam: G4GF/G4GM

G4GD (2.0L) Some 2001 Elantras and maybe Tiburons, all 2001.5 Elantra GT's

G4GF (2.0L) All 2000 and previous Elantras and Tiburons

G4GM (1.8L) Came in only 1998 and earlier Tiburons, I think it only came in 1998 and earlier Elantras too.

-Red-
</div>

thanks red... once again your a big help to my performance goals!!!

Old 01-25-2002, 03:53 AM

Good grief, could you just tell us what cams to put in which cars? Please...I don't need all the confusion about G4GFJ5k 2000. Aight? What do we put in the 2000 Tibs?
Old 01-25-2002, 04:03 AM
Red

Mateus, it's called reading comprehension. Do they not teach these skills in elementary and middle school anymore? Reading comprehension is scanning the material and picking the relavant points. For you, the relevant points are "2000 Tiburon" and "best cams"

Gee, how hard is this? Let's try it:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>G4GF (2.0L) All 2000 and previous Elantras and Tiburons</div>Well damn, there's the part about 2000 Tiburons. From this post, we can INFER that you have a G4GF engine (you do have a 2000 and you do have a 2.0L right?) That wasn't hard. Next...
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>If you have one of the older G4GF or G4GM engines, the intake cam from the newest G4GD engine is the best OEM intake cam you can install. You already have the best OEM exhast cam...</div>
Well gee, we know you have the G4GF engine, so this basically answers your question. What's that little bit about G4GD talking about the intake you say? Hmmm, reading compreshension...

Just a bit more reading would show that:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>G4GD (2.0L) Some 2001 Elantras and maybe Tiburons, all 2001.5 Elantra GT's</div>

If you still cannot figure it out, you'll have to get the answer from someone else. I do indeed tend to give everyone as many technical details as possible, but I still feel that anyone who actually READS the material should get it.

Part of my living is a teacher, but teachers do not "teach" by force-feeding people information. If they are not willing to learn, then I am not teaching them anything.

-Red-