Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

1.8L intake cam is IN!

Old 05-07-2002, 06:36 AM
Red

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The revised engines have solid shims in the head rather than HLAs. The best way to tell is to pull the valve cover off, pull off the intake cam and look at the assembly that sits on top of the valve spring. if this assembly is about 3/4" tall and has one (or two, can't remember) very small holes poked in the side along a "ring", then you have an older engine. If this assembly doesn't match what I described, then you have the newer engine.

If you are talking ONLY about the block (ie a shortblock, there is no head on it) then the only way to tell will likely be the VIN plate on the flywheel side of the block. Every Hyundai block has a VIN plate on it; I know there's a way you can get that VIN and look it up and find the date of manufacture... Just don't ask me what it is wink I bet either the local Hyundai dealer or your local Motor Vehichle Department could check it out.

Note!

Not all 2001 Elantras are the revised engine, only SOME of them (the newer ones). All of the 2001 Elantra GT's are new engines because they came out later in 2001. That's the difference.

Also, this post is old enough that I was still using the incorrect nomenclature -- the engine that I was calling G4GD is not correct. The REAL name for that engine is the G4GC, also commonly called the BETA II.

Not that it matters, just a correction wink
Old 05-07-2002, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok,... im going to go back into the search engine

you posted the VIN stuff a WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILE back ago