Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

*Edit 6/7- Help!* OBX 4-2-1 & Fitment issues?

Old 05-28-2004, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MADTIB is right. there's only one bung, and it's on the down pipe. i have these EXACT headers, and they're Forzas. same seller, differnet auctioin. (outback from san fransisco right?)

there is NOT a bung on the header for sensor #1. that sensor has to be taken out completely. the headers you're buying Shark - they should line up perfect. they don't even touch the plate at the bottom, like everyone's saying. i just put in sensor #2 (actually fits better than stock pipe) - left the first one off... and if you don't mind your check engine light being on you're good to go. i think that has to be reset by the dealership. either that or i didn't reset my ECU correctly.

and like java said..... those bolts that connect the down pipe to the cat are RIDICULOUSLY hard to get off. took me a day and a half to get those b****es off (not even joking. impact wrench/grinder and all.....)

if it sounds like you wanna' know anything else, let me know.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:22 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

i really do NOT want that CEL on.

and now that i'm gettin conflicting reponses when it comes to there being an O2 bung on the headers, i'm gonna email the seller. Void, does YOUR header have an 02 bung??

i just hate having conflicting responses, and i wanna make sure i have all my bases covered...before i even get it!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:24 AM

well, i'm telling you..... i have these EXACT headers. there is NO bung on the header. just on the down pipe!
Old 05-28-2004, 11:31 AM

About the O2 sensor positioning. I ran into this problem a while back. Your sensor 1 (connected the #4 pipe I believe) has to be connected there. It is how you ECU calculates the Air/Fuel Ratio. Sensor 2 needs to be behind a CAT on the Exhaust side or you will throw a cel (Sensor is saying your CAT is faulty). So basicly it needs to go Engine -> Header (Sensor 1 on #4 pipe) -> Downpipe -> CAT -> Sensor 2 -> Exhaust Setup

What year Tib is this going on?
Old 06-07-2004, 02:51 PM

*BUMP*

ok, header came in the mail. there is no O2 bung on the header, just on the down pipe

i do NOT want a CEL on. what do i do?/what do i tell the guy installing it??

I have until Friday before this is gonna be installed. i would like as much feedback as possible.

thank you
Old 06-07-2004, 03:04 PM

Default Wheels wont move

maybe a machine shop can hook that up???

it can't be that much to add a bung to a pipe.....
Old 06-07-2004, 03:05 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Alpha_Male)</div><div class='quotemain'>well, i'm telling you..... i have these EXACT headers. there is NO bung on the header. just on the down pipe!</div>

That's strange?? My OBX 4-2-1 has an 02 bung on the header.

What I was saying eariler is that the headers have (or,should have) an 02 bung.The flex pipe also has a bung.The bung in the flex pipe is not needed.You have to make a bung in the inlet side of the cat back,unless yours already does.

Recap...................You need the 1st 02 in the header.The second in the cat back inlet.

Although, if your header doesn't have a bung but the flex pipe does............then you can use the flex bung for 02 #1,then make if needed a bung in the cat back inlet for #2 02.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:13 PM

when i said i had a cat back... i should have said i have it from the 2nd cat...not a "complete" cat back. if that makes sense.

it's the ssautochrome OBX one.

so, let me get this straight...i would need to get an 02 bung put into the #4 pipe and plug up the one in the flex pipe? roughly how far down on the #4? or would that really not matter due to the length of the wire?

and: where would i get a plug for it? Auto Zone or somethin like that? thanks guys!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:17 PM

Sense you have no bung on the header,and #1 cat will go bye bye, I'd use the bung in the flex pipe for #1 02 sensor.If you are keeping for now the factory piping from the #2 cat,back,then nothing else is needed for 02 bungs.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:25 PM

but for some reason that doesn't make sense to me. if i'm gettin what you say is right, i would take the 1st O2 sensor and put it into the bung in the flex pipe. that would mean the 2nd O2 sensor goes no where. it would also mean i need like an "extension cord" to make the 1st O2 sensor fit in the flex pipe bung....

it makes sense to me to manually put a bung in the header. that way the 1st O2 sensor is in the header, and the 2nd O2 sensor is in the flex pipe.

i wish this were easy... BAH