Hyundai/KIA RSS Feeds RSS Feeds and News Links From Around The World...

It's on like Donkey Kong: Jilted Hyundai Genesis Coupe buyer jilted again, lawyers up

Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai
Default It's on like Donkey Kong: Jilted Hyundai Genesis Coupe buyer jilted again, lawyers up

Filed under: Car Buying, Coupe, Performance, Auctions, Hyundai, South Korea

This ended about how we predicted. You all no doubt remember McFly, the guy that won a legit eBay auction for a slightly used Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T for $16,125. Problem was that the seller - Glenn Hyundai of Lexington, KY - felt the car was worth more ($19,700) and refused to sell it to McFly. They claim they set a reserve price (even though they didn't) and wouldn't budge. End of story, kind of.

See, the internet got a hold of the McFly's tale of woe, and few things excite people (us included) more than tales of bald-faced greed mixed with dishonest car dealers. Not surprisingly, the story took off like wildfire and Glenn Hyundai soon found itself inundated with phone calls, emails, faxes - you name it. The onslaught became so bad that Glenn Hyundai got in touch with McFly and told him that if he would call off his dogs (remove his forum posts, plead with Gencoupe.com forum members to stop harassing the dealership, somehow get Digg.com to do... exactly what we're not sure, etc.) they would presumably sell him a Genesis Coupe for $16,125.

Why do we say presumably? Because we never knew the details of the agreement McFly worked out with Glenn Hyundai. Or, as McFly puts it an updated post, "For the record I have not shared any part of the verbal agreement." Despite this agreement never being finalized, some felt that McFly's saga was over (while some nearly broke their hands patting themselves on the back). We ourselves were reluctant to think or declare anything until McFly had the Genesis Coupe in hand. Guess what?

No Genesis Coupe 2.0T for McFly. He's claiming that Glenn Hyundai has breached the "verbal agreement" he reached with them. He's refusing to give any details of said verbal agreement, but maintains that Glenn Hyundai owes him a Gen Coupe for $16,125. Also, McFly's retained a lawyer. Also-also, he's contacted Hyundai USA but received no response. We'll keep you updated. Thanks to Bora for the heads up!

[Source: Gencoupe.com]It's on like Donkey Kong: Jilted Hyundai Genesis Coupe buyer jilted again, lawyers up originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:38:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

View the full article
Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Subaru Legacy 2.5l Limited

yeah i heard about this. stupid dealership! just him the car and stop making a bad name for yourself!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:08 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

^seriously. the "no response" from Hyundai USA sounds familiar. i've written and emailed them numerous times, saying my family has been with them for 25 years. no response.

haha go gencoupe.com! i really hope this works out in McFly's favor.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

What an annoying situation. I think I may spend some time making calls, emails, etc. to make their life more difficult for being such a-holes about this.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

^ Yeah....all this bad press has got to be hurting their sales in one way or another. And something is weird in how they first "agreed" to give him the car...and then all of a sudden decided not to. Either way, he'll get some kind of compensation whether it be cash or the car itself because its a cold hard fact that he won the ebay auction. Its a solid contract and the fact that they're causing all this bad press on themselves for a stupid $3,000 is just beyond retarded!