Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

What engines swap into a 96 Accent easily?

Old 07-27-2002, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engines swap into a 96 Accent easily?

I am not sure what to do with my new Accent purchase. Whatever I do it has to be relatively affordable. I will be doing all the labor myself. I have pulled and replaced a few engines over the years and am not scared to swap something else in as long as I do not need to do much fabricating. I am hoping for 1/4 mile times in the mid 15s. About on par with a stock ZX-2 or DOHC Neon. Is there a stock engine that will swap into this car easily and be worth the effort? It appears the bolt-on parts for my 1.5 DOHC Alpha are not very common and what is available is pretty pricey. A junkyard mill might be the better way to go. Will a Beta engine bolt in and will it bolt to the Accents 5spd? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:07 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

If you want any motor, get the Evo's 4g63 motor.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:17 PM

I'm going to be doing a Beta transplant on a 96 Accent GT in the up coming weeks.

You will need:
engine, transmission, axles, motor mounts and ECU and Wiring.

HVE sells 2.0L transplants but they do not answer emails, they will do it for you if you send your Accent over to Australia. rolleyes.gif

I've seen pics of 1.8L Betas in Accents in Hot 4's magazines, a 2.0L is very similar, only the internals are slightly different.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the info Ken.

Can you share the details of your upcoming swap with me? What is the donor vehicle? Are you doing the work yourself? Thanks for more info.

I can probably find a lower milage, wrecked Elantra or Tiburon in a local junkyard. It looks like I will need to buy alot of parts of the car. Hopefully I can find the necessary parts for the swap at a reasonable price. A few years back I bought a complete 2.2L carburated Shelby Dodge engine with under 50,000 miles for $300. Is there a certain year engine that would be better to look for?

I did a search for the word *swap* and learned a little about your project. What are your plans for 1/2 shafts and motor mounts?

In the pics of your Elantra, it looks like the transaxle is on the passenger side of the car (like a Honda) compared to the Accent.

Your silver 96 looks sharp! I saw a silver GT on the road today, but it was all stock and had a ding in the hatchback. Email me at TNowak1046@aol.com if you want or respond here. Thanks. Tom
Old 07-28-2002, 12:33 AM

Damn it Jaws, so am I smile.gif . Right now I'm looking for a good 96/97 GT. All I can find are wrecked or they want like $4k for them. Mines gonna be boosted with 18psi Yes I will be taking pics and do a write up when I'm finished.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:40 AM

hmmmmmm ..... Looking for a 96 GT ????

If I could only convince the bank to get me another loan for the next car. Give me a few months to get all the other bills caught up, then my car may have a for sale sign in it.

Although the swap may be a fun one to do myself ...
Old 07-28-2002, 01:23 AM

I know, I've asked you before to sell it. LEt me know when you do finally sell it and price like I said in the last email.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:29 AM

Look for S-coupe turbo Alphas, and beta engines, its virtually impossible and not cost worthy to get the Lancer EVO engine in your bay.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:48 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Suprgtrs_man:
Damn it Jaws, so am I smile.gif . Right now I'm looking for a good 96/97 GT. All I can find are wrecked or they want like $4k for them. Mines gonna be boosted with 18psi Yes I will be taking pics and do a write up when I'm finished.</div>Another one, eh? Why did you sell it in the first place?
Old 07-28-2002, 08:56 AM

Vehicle: 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Isnt the other one his girlfriends car?