Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

V6 in a 2000 Tiburon

Old 06-02-2002, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Random:
Copa_do_Mundo

Don't judge all turbos based of the ****ty reputation of Alpine.

Red, and myself are building up turbo motors, that will far eclipse Alpine, and with far better relability (hopefully! *grin*)

The point is that a 2600 Lbs car with a 300 Hp motor has a better power to weight ratio than a 3000 Lbs car with a 300 HP motor. That simple.

The beta can handle more power than the Delta or the Epsilon engine. There is also next to NO aftermarket parts availability for the Epsilon. The Delta is good to about 250 Wheel HP, then block/crank/main journal parts start to break. The Beta engine, with new pistions and rods, is good to 600 HP.

It is far cheaper, and easier to modify the Beta, than to try to fit an delta, or fit an Epsilon motor into your tibby.

How are you going to get that huge Epsilon engine to fit in the bay?
How are you going to mount it?
What tranny are you going to use (Epsilon only comes with automatics)
how are you going to fit the huge Epsilon auto tranny in the engine bay?
How are you going to mount the tranny?
Which drive axles will you use?

You've also replaced a 200 Lbs engine with a 350 Lb engine (not counting tranny weight). You've just seriously messed with your front/rear weight bias. You need to adjust the brakes and suspension accordingly. How are are you going to deal with that?

All of that crap and BS for 210 HP? Hell, get nitrous and do it for under $1000. Get a turbo and do it for under $6000. You'll never accomplish all of the above for the cost of a 100% reliable 300 Wheel HP turbo beta.</div>How all that stuff will fit? Easy man, with a 50LBS crate of KY JElly or SexWax!!
Old 06-03-2002, 11:02 AM

Come on, it can't be that bad...I mean we are talking about putting a Delta engine on an Elantra frame, which is exactly what they did in the '03. They use a 5sp, which could concievably be the same as the 4cyl...and for 181hp, I wouldn't have to upgrade all that. Maybe bigger brakes, but even with 181hp in my 4cyl, I could remain at stock suspension and brakes...I think the cost would be more in installing the right engine mounts, and the tranny. I could get better struts, and brakes...or even the axles.

Well hell...lets convert it over to RWD while we are at it...I don't see how it would exceed the cost of putting in a turbo...which is $4000 just for the system...and then you have to add installation and maintainance costs...

let me ask you turbo guys this...how often is your car in the shop? How long did it take to install your turbo?

Don't get tempermental on me here, we are just having a discussion.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Copa_do_Mundo:

The Delta in the new Tibby is mounted to a completely new front subframe. The engine compartment is also deeper(front to back) and wider. Fitting it in the older engine bay would be hard.

The engine mounts from the new tiburon would NOT carry over, due to the wider engine compartment and the different subframe.

The 5speed tibby is ONLY the I4. All V6's are either 6 speed or automatic.

It is going to cost you about $1000 to $1500 minimum just to get the motor mounts custom fabricated. That does not include the cost of the engine or tranny, or the ecu or the endless hours of splicing wiring. Assuming you get the engine for $1000, the tranny for $800, and the ECU for $300, and $150 each for the axles, and another $200 for the shifter linkage, shifter, and assorted cables(reasonable figures), you are looking at $3600 to $4100 MINIMUM.

That cost does NOT consider the labor of fitting the engine and tranny, or the hours of electrical work.

Great, you just spent $3600 for 155 Wheel HP and 165 Ft Lbs of torque at the wheels. For $3000 you could beat/equal that with the Alpine Supercharger(installed and tuned). For the same price, you could beat those numbers with the Alpine Turbo kit (Installed but not tuned).

The turbo motor will be able to be upgraded to 600 Wheel HP (for another $2000 to $3000), but the Delta will self distruct at 250 Wheel HP.

Of all the alpine turbos and superchargers out there, the problem with all of them is ECU tuning, and them living up to their advertized HP totals.

With over 15,000 turbocharged miles under my wheels, I have YET to take my car into the dealer for a problem. 2UNIQ has had problems with his wastegate, but his car put down 209 HP at 11psi, and has not really had a problem other than more boost than he originally wanted.

It's your money, and it's your decision, but spending the $3600 on a killer nitrous setup would make more power, and be more reliable, and get better gas mileage.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:16 PM

Well, if you put the Delta under your hood you will have to lose your AC and PS. If you relocate the battery to the trunk I don't believe you would affect the weight ratio of the vehicle much after the swap. You might add a few pounds, but hey its your money.

You could just buy an extra Beta motor and build it from bottom to top but whatever you want to do. I'm sure there will be plenty of aftermarket parts for the weak (cough cough) delta motor in the future. If you ever do it, shout out and let us all know how it is. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:11 PM

I hear the Elantra GT, might be getting the v6, if they fit in the current setup. You might be able to transport it over to the tiburon at a cheaper cost.

But I am thinking the GT will get a new chassis and design based off the sonata or tiburon which is based off the sonata.

So then you are SOL

But it really is a waste of cash.
You could slap on a s/c and get more out of it.
And it would be nice and torque like the v6.

A v6 in the front, its gonna be more nose heavy then it already is.
I thought about it at one time.

Turbo will give ya more bang for the buck.
Also, upgrading that v6 is more expensive. 180hp wont keep ya happy for long!!

And now ya gotta pay not to upgrade 4 pistons but 6!!

slap on 5psi to your stock engine with a nice small fast spooling turbo. You will be happy with it.

Or get the new pistons, giv3 yourself 180hp to play with, then when you are ready turn up the boost. and all it iwll cost you after that is a few dyno runs.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:39 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

Speaking of the Epsilon, what car has this engine? What about the Omega?
Old 06-04-2002, 12:09 AM

Scratching my head in confusion. Why do it? There is no real gain. To spend an enormous amount of time and money to get 40 extra hp on the fly? With the size of the delta, even if you can jam it in you can forget about turbo. No room. Just go turbo and Niturous and be happy and tune the engine .
Old 06-04-2002, 12:51 AM

Vehicle: 99 Red Tib

Random,

Just wanted to tell you that V6 does come with a 5 or 6speed. I just picked up the GTv6 5-speed since no 6speeds were available.

Red Tib
Old 06-04-2002, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Red Tib:
V6 does come with a 5 or 6speed. I just picked up the GTv6 5-speed since no 6speeds were available</div>Really! *evil gears in head start rolling* It's probably not the same 5 speed we get. I was thinking...if the 5 speed is the same tranny as the I4...then there's GOTTA be some way to hook the 6 speed up to the I4. *evil gears in head start rolling*

Anyway, I won't hijack this thread with my ramblings...
Old 06-04-2002, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Go get yourself a used mustang for $1500, and spend the other $3000 getting the driveline to go with your car. That's for the cutting torch and welder, doing it yourself. Treble that cost if you want it done for you.

but, the 5.0L ford is the smallest domestic V8 around, and whole cars can be had dirt-cheap, complete with the computers/harnesses/sensors etc.

It seems there is a general concensus here...spend the money and get a good turbo setup...