Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Tiburon/Coupe RD2 Swap Suggestions

Old 07-14-2010, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Hyundai Coupe Gen 2
Default Tiburon/Coupe RD2 Swap Suggestions

Hi all,

I'm looking at popping a new engine in my Tiburon RD2, initially I looked around to try to find something that would go straight in an provdie an acceptable increase in power to make it worth while. In the UK they do a lightly tuned RD 2 Litre in a model they call the Hyundai Coupe Evolution F2. This is essentially a two litre with the cams from a 1.8, it puts out about 150BHP. These however are very scarce and quite expensive for an extra 40 HP [I currently have a 1.6] especially considering I'd need all the ancilliaries,

Looking around is there anything that is an 'easy' swap that will go straight in to a beta engine bay, ideally with similar looms so I would not have to mess about too much, I'm open to pretty much any suggestions.

Thanks,

Edd
Old 07-14-2010, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Pretty much the only thing you can do that will be pretty easy without too much money is a 2.0 swap. You'll need the ECU as well.

As for the cam, you can find 1.8 cams pretty cheap just about anywhere to give you a few extra horses.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Yea, just try to locate a 2.0 and ECU. I believe you can use the 1.8L ECU also. I don't know how rare those engines are where you're at, but they're quite common here.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

For the 1.8L ecu there was a specific revision to use but I don't recall it off the top of my head, when the old RDT DIY links are fixed I believe there was an entire write up on this. For the cams I have found a head from a 1.8L locally for a fairly good price all things considered. Picking up a beta2 bottom myself from a Spectra for circa $200 and 2.0 beta1 heads seem to be plentiful at least in my location so thats my goal. For the price, capability and ease of installation there really is nothing even close to the beta for a Tib. Personally I am lower the compression and boosting for that extra "umph."

Any other motor will require so much fabrication it's just pointless imho.