Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Tiburon 2.0 l BETA engine swap without ECU

Old 10-30-2001, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiburon 2.0 l BETA engine swap without ECU

Is it possible to do an engine swap on a Tib from a 1.6 l BETA to a 2.0 l BETA engine without changing the ECU? Or could I just use a "piggy back" ECU like Unichip since I am not able to find a 2 l ECU locally. Thinking of the different possibilites as my mechanic is only able to find a 2.0 l BETA engine but not the ECU!
Old 10-31-2001, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The 1.6L is still a beta...so the ECU should be more or less the same, but I'm not sure if the injectors are the same. The 1.6L ECU might not run the 2.0L injectors properly, so you might end up squirting too much, or not enough fuel.

I'm assuming your engines in singapore are MAP not MAF based, so a US Spec ECU will not do you any good, why not e-mail boogyman and see if he can send you one from Korea?
Old 11-01-2001, 07:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will run the injectors perfectelly. The ECUs are exactly the same.The only thing that changes is a the ingnition MAP. In other words if you leave the ECU as it is you will lose a couple of horses....BUT it will still run perfectelly ok!!!!
The best thing you can do is change the ingnition EPROM...It can be easily done by a speciallist at the kind. You don't want to change an ECU, because the immobilizer will cause you BIG problems and maybe you will result in having 2 different keys...one for the doors and one for the ingnition. If you bue an ECU with-out its key, there is NO WAY you can make your car work...(due to the immpbilizer)..
I have mush experience in engine swapping.I have done this to my car...

-Tasos-
Old 11-01-2001, 08:07 AM

my uncle just completed the swap recently in an accent. i'll ask him about problems/things to look out for.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Accent doesn't come with a BETA engine and the ECW is different. The 1.6L is a BETA with exactly the same ECU, so the swap is a piece of cake. Keep in mind that it is better to use your own sensors sinse you know they are in good shape rather than the used ones of the engine.

-Tasos-
Old 11-01-2001, 10:48 AM

Roasta,

Yeah, sounds like my engine swap project is on, what do you think of using a piggy back system like unichip to modify the settings of the ECU? Or maybe a S-AFC?

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: fatal_99 ]

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: fatal_99 ]