Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

S2000 Engine Swap in an 01 Tib

Old 05-18-2010, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default S2000 Engine Swap in an 01 Tib

Ive done alittle research about an engine swap for my 01 Tib. I can get a pretty good price for an S2000 engine and tranny with all the wireing included. I plan on dropping some major $$$ into and drag racing it. so i hope the info i get helps me out in the further growth of my car.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

We get alot of questions here from people in regards to what engine they can drop into their Hyundai's.

While we can respect you wanting to make more power to your car, you also have to understand that at certain times...its just not worth to do certain things. Granted, if money is not an issue at all, and you truly do plan on making your tib completely and fully unique...then an engine swap is something you can go for. Just take note that the money you spend on dropping a different engine into your car, could of been spent towards boosting (turbo) the hell out of it.

So lets take a look at your idea in depth...

- S2000's are RWD, so you would have to convert your tib in that manner. This means driveshaft, rear end, transmission, engine, and ECU.
- The S2000 engine will not drop in easily one bit, so you'll have to create engine mounts, and do some extremely heavy modification to the engine bay to get everything to fit
- A tib doesnt have the proper guide path underneath the body for a driveshaft, so you would have to do some heavy body modifications to the car to make the driveshaft have enough room and not have it scrape across the floor pans or underneath the car.

The cost for all this would be quite a bit of money, versus just spending about $2500 and boosting the hell out of the car. Plus, you would end up having WAY more power and performance than what the S2000 engine will be putting out.

Hope this helps. Good luck in what ever you decide to do.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

rwd tiburon with s2000 parts would be badass. i don't think it's possible. if you did this, you'd be the very first one evar, with labor worth about 30,000usd.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:51 PM

i can get all the following items for my car for $3800.

Motor
Transmission
ecu
distributor
power steering pump
ac compresor
alternator
starter
intake manifold
exhaust manifold
shifter-linkage

I understand the time and money being dropped into the motor but the S2000 motor is the outcome will produce more power then an 2.0 could. Ive def. looked at just overhauling the motor in the car now but its almost at 100k in miles. But im always up for better routes to do so i can get this project done within the 2 yr time frame i put forth to complete it
Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

$3800 towards boosting a tib will put any S2000 to shame any day of the week. smile.gif
Old 05-18-2010, 02:54 PM

i got a 10k budget for this project. what ideas and plans would you think i should go with on this project. my goal is 400-500 hp
Old 05-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

If you don't go RWD, look into which transaxle will bolt on or can be made to bolt on to the S2000 engine. For the FWD Honda engines, the transaxle is on the opposite side of the engine compartment than on your Tib, meaning that auxiliary parts will also need to be modified/relocated more than likely, such as steering components.

Since this is for drag racing, IMO the S2K engine is not your best bet for best results or best price for results. The Beta is actually very potent when built properly. You can expect it to reliably hold 400-500 horsepower while still being reasonably reliable (when built to handle the boost and power). Not to mention that you'll be making about 90% of your peak horsepower number in torque also, which would be a huge advantage over the S2K engine.

If you want unique, there are a few other options to consider. For one, an EVO IV 4G63T. It sits on the correct side of the engine compartment (vs. a DSM 4G63T which does not), and has the potential to make massive power. Another potential swap would be the DI 2.4l making 200hp stock in the 2011 Sonata, or potentially the DI 2.0t Sonata engine coming within the next few months making 274hp. I'll admit though, the Theta Sonata engine swap would be more to keep the engine in the Hyundai family than because it's easier or has more potential than other engines.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

with a 10k budget you could make the beta hit supersonic speeds, lol..

10k into the beta would give you insane results.

boost and build the beta, push style conversion, etc. and you will have money leftover.

10k will probably hardly be enough to complete a swap project like this, specially after the 3800$ in those parts..

thats 6200$ left... and then you need to figure out how to hook all that up (custom driveshafts, custom mounts, etc. etc. etc.) and in the end you will have the stock s2k motor with 200+ hp and low torque..

with around 6-7k$ you could rebuild the beta I with some pistons, a real nice turbo kit, nice clutch, fuel management, LSD and be running around with 400+hp.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

IMO, easier to put a tib body on an S2000. If your going to drag race and go through that kinda trouble... find an LS1.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:42 AM

thanks for the comments.. actually im looking online now to see where i can get the best parts for turbos, pistons, cams, and a fuel managment system. Gonna do a quick run down on the $$$ flow its gonna bring in. I'll make an update later today with the finding i get.

thanks again for all the comments and tips