Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Rear wheel drive conversion

Old 06-04-2002, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel drive conversion

Ok, here is another interesting topic...converting from FWD to RWD. Why most imports FWD anywas? What would I need to convert my car to a RWD, like the Miata?
Old 06-04-2002, 11:15 AM

rwd is only good for drag.

FWD ususally beats it on a track course.

Its been proven, search the net for the articles.

Of course not with the comfy FWd suspension you find in most cars. but iwth a race suspension, FWD seems to be better.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:28 AM

RWD cars flat out arn't "reasonable" for the everyday driver. They handle horribly, terrible in the snow, rain, etc. They just arn't practical. Plus they are built to handle more power. You are basically pushing the weight of the car instead of pulling it. Imports are made for everyday, conservative driving. They want families to own them, and kids out of school. So the need for RWD isn't there. Converting a FWD to RWD is a big $$$ project. It would take a lot of hard work and time and patience.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:10 PM

it handles better in the snow and rain in 2wd(rwd) then 4x4? Thats because 4x4 is not ment for being on asphalt!!

awd and 4x4 are two different things.

awd manages the wheels so they all have realtive speeds allowing them to run well on asphalt.

4x4 basicallty provides power to all four wheels, and you use them in dirt, cause they are expected to slip some.
Old 06-04-2002, 01:05 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

I need to only bring up that Formula One, NASCAR, IRL, and most every other major racing series is rwd. The major expception is rallying, and even then most cars are AWD or RWD.

FWD tries to make the front tires do too much. However, its cheaper and lighter for auto companies to make FWD than RWD. Its also safer for the unskilled driver in most weather conditions, hence its widespread use.
Old 06-04-2002, 02:00 PM

Exactly, any true sports car out there is RWD, such as Porsche, Ferarri, and so on. I see how FWD maybe more comfortable and conservative, but that is exactly what I am not! So, how do we do this? I have seen people with J-body Cavaliers doing this conversion, why can't we?
Old 06-04-2002, 02:25 PM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

$$$
Old 06-04-2002, 02:29 PM

actually porsche and ferrari and lmaboghinin are moving to awd smile.gif

rwd is over rated I think personally.