Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Motor confusion

Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent
Default Motor confusion

If this thread is in the wrong forum then Im sorry and would someone please place it accordingly. So Im a lil confused right now about some hyundai motors. Ok, Ive had my tib for roughly 2-3 years now and I know a good bit bout the beta I motor and such. Now correct me if Im wrong here, but the Beta I comes in technically three variations: 1.6 (g4cr) 1.8 (g4gm RD18 on block) and 2.0 (g4gf J220 on block). Jus stating what I know here. And also the beta II is a g4gc with xd20 on the block. Now that that is outta the way I can get to the point. I was talking to some guy who was parting out a 01 tib close to my hometown and we eventually started talking about motors. He said that his tib had a g4cp motor in it which if Im correct is hyundai's version of the 4g63 but just n/a. I know that this motor come in the older sonatas and elantra right? He kept trying to tell me that our cars came with the g4cp if the 8th vin digit was a "f" which is wrong, it should be the g4gf. And if it has a "m" it should be the g4gm, right? Im starting to wonder if when he got the car that someone wanted to do g4cp/4g63 swap and dropped it in there. He also said that his block was stamped t220 and everything he built his motor with was for g4cp/4g63 motor. Please tell me that I'm not crazy here and that Im right, ha.

Ive noticed that some places that sell replacement parts for the 00 elantra label the motor as g4cp, any reason why? I was told that there is an engine code under the thermostat housing to help identify the motor but apparenlty I can't see it so Im just blind or something. If anyone can chime in on this that would be greatly appreciated. This is starting to bother me a lot.

Thanks guys and gals.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Long story short... The Beta 1 share nothing in common with the 4G63. Heads is completely different and the engine is turned 180 degrees in the engine bay. 4G63 timing belt is on the driver's side. Beta 1's timing belt is on the passenger's side.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

^ At the turn of the century the 4G63t got rotated 180 degrees. So an evo 6 or newer head is the correct rotation, BUT the design is very much different, you are very correct there. Plus the 4G uses a double sprocket on the head and has different tooth arrangement from what I recall. Hell, look at the evo head gaskets vs. all of the betas and it's clear that there is no way to just bolt on the head.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:25 AM

Yeah ik the differences between the beta I and the 4g63 motors but I was just trying to figure out why this guy had a g4cp stamped motor in his engine bay. And I know that the g4cp is hyundai's version of the 4g63. So Im guessing someone had swapped that motor into his car before he got it. Then Ive noticed that some websites list some beta motors as g4cp and Im pretty sure that it should be g4gf or at least g4gm. Is my line of thinking correct here?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

first off, i would DOUBT that anyone swapped a different motor into his tib.. any pics?

secondly, the only real similarity between the beta and the 4G63 is that they are both 4 cylinders, and thats where the similarities stop.. other than the fact they both have oil pumps, pans, water pumps, valves, gears, pulleys, etc... lol

the engine code is on the front of the block behind the manifold..

is there any PROOF that his engine was stamped that way? i just see a mis communication here not a swap. Why would someone go through the trouble of swapping in a similar motor and having to change things to make it work when they could do a direct beta swap?

not sure why there are some listings for the 2000 elantra using that motor, as far is i know it was the earlier hyundais that had it only..

the J2 and RDs ONLY had the beta..
Old 02-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Yeah thats what I was thinking bout all of this. Im starting to think this guy is calling BS here bc he doesnt have a pic of his motor which is pretty suspicious. I tried telling him that the beta I was the only motor that came with the 96-01 tib and that the g4cp came in some of the older sonatas and older elantras. But this guy said his block was stamped with a "t220" when it should have been a "J220" since it should have the 2.0 beta I in it. I can't rule out the possibility of his car having a swap, it is possible.

I do know that you can identify the motor by looking at the front of the block but I read somewhere that there is block stamping under the thermostat housing with the actual engine code put there by hyundai. Can anyone confirm this one? I tried looking but it was hard to get my head down in there to confirm it for sure.

Im not stupid and know that beta I came in the RD's. Just clearing that up if anyone thinks im stupid. ha.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

with no picture of the motor in the car, its all bullshit in my opinion.. or just ignorance...

it IS possible that it is swapped, but i would say the possibility is very low.. why would ANYONE swap from a beta (2.0L) NA to an NA (2.0) OLDER motor that would need to modify it to even work seems very unlikely..

It would be understandable if it was a 4g63T swap, but not back to an NA g4cp.. lol
Old 02-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Yeah I agree with you socks. But APPARENTLY its boosted. Funny thing is after I asked for a pic he stopped responding to my texts. Oh well, the only reason I was talking to him is bc he was parting out and rd2.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

haha. probably some kid trying to sound 'cool' by saying he got some rare motor that only HIS car got but never willing to prove it.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:31 AM

Agreed. According to him only the older sonatas and upscale tuscani fx's came with that motor. Bull. Just making sure that I wasn't crazy. haha