Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

is this a massive mistake or?

Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default is this a massive mistake or?

genesis bell housing the same as Betas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Untitled.jpg (164.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

massive mistake somehow....

left is gen coupe

right is 03 elantra
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
164a_12.JPG (44.6 KB, 25 views)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Apparently I don't have permission to use this feature of downloading the links? That sucks. Could you just manually upload them?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

I'd like to actually be able to see these pictures as well. Seems like if they are a match, it could possibly open up a new swap option. It also seems pretty unlikely though...

Edit: Didn't realize how old this post was...
Old 06-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

I believe I fixed the setting. Can someone confirm that they're now able to download the images to view?
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Can see the attachments without clicking or downloading anything
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

lol oops. Had the setting wrong for this forum. Maybe that's why nobody responded s'all good now. The staff could see the pics, so we didn't realize the member setting wasn't set appropriately.

Feel free to report a post if something similar happens in the future. It's a quick and easy fix.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

In any case, They don't look anything alike to me. Starter is on the other side away from the exhaust. I've started to wonder how much it would take to get a Mazda sourced 6-speed attached though over the past year. The Thetas have a better chance of fitting than the Betas and it would make for a possible AWD conversion if one had the finances and drive to do such a swap.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 AM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

The transmission code may be the same but you'll need a bell housing from a beta. Would be an interesting swap but probably pretty costly considering the clutch and potential hybrid flywheel/pp needed. A while back I looked at options for a 6 speed swap and found that beta powered i30s and Kia Cee'd used the same 6 speed that's in the US spec Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, with that version having a tighter gear ratio. After further inspection the same trans is also used in the Delta powered SE Tibs with an totally different bh. Either way you go it'll require a lot of expense. And with no Trans mods to backup it up, if you plan to put any power through it expect regular replacement with similar cost.

Now, toss some money at the issue, shot peen and cryo the gears, shaft, exc, and fab up a box bell housing with clutch options and cabling kit, you'll have a great product with reliability to spare.

For AWD, there is already a Beta 5-speed AWD in the Tucson and Kia Sportage (same platform.) AND HMA lists a "4WD" rear knuckle for RDs but has no specific info regarding it. Not sure if there's a truck overseas for those years based on the elantra platform, but that might be a good things to research. Also might want to look into rearend swaps. I read a while back about someone with an LC modding in a DSM rear with ease too.

Either direction nothing is going to be a direct swap unless you import parts, but either condition is quite expen$$$ive!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Originally Posted by The Cheet
In any case, They don't look anything alike to me. Starter is on the other side away from the exhaust. I've started to wonder how much it would take to get a Mazda sourced 6-speed attached though over the past year. The Thetas have a better chance of fitting than the Betas and it would make for a possible AWD conversion if one had the finances and drive to do such a swap.

The Mazda guys have actually figured out a way to install the mr2 trans onto there probes/mx6

I've been researching for years on a way to do the same but haven't been able to source a blown trans to see if it'll work. They had a big adapter plate that bolted both together and had to piece together axles but it was well worth the swap

Now that is a beefy trans, has a huge aftermarket, and comes with a LSD already

Plus, there are awd versions of that trans...and some mr2s have pushed 600+ to the wheels with it