Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Manual swap parts list HERE help red

Old 03-25-2002, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual swap parts list HERE help red

i have prepared this list to give to my mechanic so he can get the parts i need... if you guys can verify anything i may be missing, and i have one concern about the starting, if i remove the manual trans, will it default to PARK mode? because if its not in park or neutral it wont start.. with all the cables removed, how will it know and how will i start the car ?? maybe i have to tell my mechanic to short some of the signal wires? or use a resistor to trick it?

Manual Transmission Parts List.
1999 Hyundai Elantra.

Can use any model year 1998 – 2000
1.8L or 2.0L
Tiburon or Elantra manual transmission unit.

Part list.

1. Clutch pedal assembly.
2. Clutch Master Cylinder assembly (and reservoir tank).
3. Pedal support member.
4. Shifter cables (and cotter pins for each end)
5. Shift Lever Assembly (metal base, lever, shifter boot and knob)
6. Drivers Side Rear Transmission Mount assembly
7. Engine to Transmission DUST COVERS
2 parts, Rear plate, and Bell housing cover.

(there are also a few misc. parts needed)

Nuts , bolts and washers to fasten the pedal assembly, shifter assembly, and cable quadrant to the firewall.

The rear automatic transmission mount will not line up with the manual trans mounting locations, therefore the manual transmission mount and bracket must be used.

The ignition lock switch that attaches to the clutch pedal is not needed, also there is no harness to connect it to in the vehicle.

The speedometer gear should be a direct fit into the new manual transmission.

But I did find that there is a variation in the drive/driven ratio from the auto to the manual
The automatic drive/driven speedo gear ratio is 36/32
The manual drive/driven speedo gear ratio is 31/36
Old 03-25-2002, 03:08 AM
Red

With the new tranny you'll also need a new flywheel from the same year as your motor (newer motors use a different mating flange on the crank)

Also you'll need a manual-tranny ECU, otherwise it will blow a constant check engine light because the automatic-tranny ECU talks to a secndary computer called the TCM (transmission control module) which will always report that your (non-existant) auto tranny is fux0red.

About the speedo, I'm not sure how to combat that -- quite honestly, that's a good catch on your side because I wouldn't have thought to check. I'm guessing the VSS is the same, but the computation at the gauge must be different.

I don't *think* the VSS is solely dependant on the ECU, at least I hope not or my stock ECU will have to stick around in order to run my speedometer with the Haltech

I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but there are one or two people in here who have done a successful auto -> manual swap. Hopefully they'll pop in here and reply...
Old 03-25-2002, 03:13 AM
Red

Oops, thought of a few more...

The cruise control "module" will also have to change out if you have cruise... There are two seperate units, one for auto and one for manual. You'll also need the clutch position switch (on/off switch that takes notice when you have the clutch pushed in -- needed for the cruise computer and the manual-tranny ECU)

Of course you'll need the new lower dash piece for the manual tranny shifter.

I'm guessing the axles are the same between the auto and manual, but you might want to check on that. They might be a tad shorter on the auto because it's bigger in size physically.

Ok, so I'm out of ideas again smile.gif
Old 03-25-2002, 03:17 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

The autotragic axles should work. Well, they did on a 2000 tibby.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:11 AM

RED!!!
The ECUs for the manuel and the Auto are the same.I have the 5 speed ECU and my CEL is ALWAYS ON?
There has to be a way to loop the wires but it will take for ever to figure that out?
Old 03-25-2002, 10:03 AM

as posted earlier and i quote ...

"man, this entire ordeal is gonna cost me almost 2000 bux installed.

i'm considering a 5.0L 5 speed coupe again.

at least with that, i can already run high 13's on motor, and change over my wet nitrous kit and run 12's on spray.

who knows, i can get a stang with lots of mods locally for under 4500 bux.

seems like the smarter thing to do, but then why the HELL did i sell my coupe 6 months go.. i was already going high 11's with it on street tires

this racing thing is out of control.. WHEN WILL IT ALL END ??!!! HEHEHEE "

crap.