Hyundai Hybrids Want to drop in a Beta for your Hyundai Accent? How about a 4G63 in your Hyundai Elantra? Maybe a Beta 2 for your Hyundai Tiburon? Post all questions here relating to transmissions and engines from other makes and/or models, you want to install in your Hyundai.

Feasibility of fitting a larger engine?

Old 03-03-2002, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feasibility of fitting a larger engine?

This is more curiosity than actually really wanting to do it.
But I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to stick say the 2.5, 2.7 or 3litre hyundai engines into the coupe. Wouldn't it be easier to pump up those engines to a certain extent than the smaller ones. Though I did see the posts about the 2.7 being weaker etc.

Still, I think it would be cool to have a turbo'd v6 in the 1st gen coupe

Oh yeah, and does anyone know any mods I can do to the 1.6 engine for a few hundred quid that might gain me 15 or so horses, that are, err, how can I put this, not noticable if say somone was to take a quick look at the car for modifications. Ahem
Old 03-03-2002, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

There is no way at this time to fit a larger motor in the Coupe. The 2.0L is the largest. The new 3rd Generation tiburon has a completely different front subframe to fit that V6 in there. If you spent enough time and money on it, I'm sure you could MAKE it work, but for the expense, it is just not worth it.

In regards to your 1.6L. The usual way to make more HP is to replace it with the 2.0L motor, but I'm not sure about the availability of used 2.0L motors in the UK. Xorro or Jon would know better, as they are also located in the UK.

Because the 1.6L is simply replaced most times, there are not many aftermarket parts available for it. The "normal" mods should work for your 1.6L though. Cold Air Intake, Bored Throttle Body, Bored/polished intake manifold, headers and full exhaust should get you 15 Hp at the wheels. I believe that the same headers that fit the 2.0L/1.8L will fit your 1.6L, but I will have to check on that. I would only reccomend the 4-2-1 header on the 1.6L though, the loss of low end torque using the 4-1 header would be more pronouced on the 1.6L motor. Also, because the headers are designed for the 2.0L, they would be slightly oversized for the 1.6L.
Old 03-03-2002, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info!!

I always wondered if it was possible, now I know!!

I guess there wouldn't be much point me fitting a 2litre in. Cos it would probably be the same as me swapping my car for a 2litre SE, plus if I got a 2litre SE it would come with all the trimmings which mine doesn't have. Oh and I bet insurance would be higher on a transplanted and uprated 1.6 then on a standard 2litre.

One other thing that has been at the back of my mind for quite a while is the handling of my car.
I have driven a few other coupes other than my 1.6i basic model. The 1st gen 2l SE, the 1.6 SE and 2l SE 2nd gen, and they all seem to have slightly better handling(suspension seems stiffer, takes corners slightly better) than mine. I just assumed at first that it was just uprated on the 2litre SE and on both the 1.6 SE and 2l SE 2nd gen, but hyundai do not mention any differences in suspension between the models, so I am kinda left wondering if my coupe has slightly substandard suspension for some reason, or its just that my model is infact meant to be worse. I cannot directly compare as I have never driven any 1st gen 1.6 coupes (SE or basic) as they seem very rare here.

Anyone know with more certainty?
Old 03-03-2002, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

xorro would know of the suspension differences if any between the UK models. In the USA, there is no suspension difference between the 1.8L and the 2.0L

You can upgrade your engine to the 2.0L and simply not tell your insurance company, however, chances are, they may drop you if it is disovered later. The insurance should not be any more expensive for a transplated 2.0L that it would be for a 2.0L from the factory.